Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well just as I was starting to feel confident in the GTV6 and on my birthday no less a soft at first metal to metal banging started as I stopped for a light. It went away after a second or two and did not return on my 1/2 mile finish to the trip.

On the way home it started again with a vengeance. As I revved above 2G it was loud and very nasty. Nursed it the 1.5 miles home and if I was gentle it would not return. Same on the way to work this AM and I was very gentle so not to make it worse.

Pulled into the shop this PM and started it and no noise at idle and starts fine with no strange noises. I popped the hood and as I put throttle to it I saw a shower of aluminum metal chips come from behind the engine from some where around the bell housing. Shut it down and cursed and took the Oldsmobile home.

Any suggestions where to start? Could a bolt of come loose or where would it start causing interference at higher revs?

**** , I was hoping to get Greg's hose put on this weekend and some valve covers changed. Not the kind of birthday present I wanted.

Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

Marcus

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Sounds like you have had your first donut let go.
Attached to the flywheel by three bolts is a rubber 'donut', which has three more bolts attaching it to your driveshaft. When one of your donuts has a chunk come out it vibrates quite a bit from being unbalanced. A idle it is usually barely noticeable, gets worse and worse as you rev. Once you jack the car up there will be a square cutout in the bellhousing for inspecting and removing the donut, get under there and hopefully it is only a bad donut. Other items down there could be a loose flywheel bolt, loose donut bolt/nut, loose pinch bolt, or some FOD dropped into the flywheel area.

If you haven't already i would go to Rayce/Vicks/Centerline/IAP and get yourself all three donuts. Then cruise on over to http://www.hiperformancestore.com/guiboDSclutch.htm and read top to bottom . That is one of the best sites for GTV6/Milano info.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Did you happen to hear a loud thud anytime previous to this? When I used to drive my car a lot more often and a lot harder I went through a lot of donuts. I'd hear a loud thud, and right away knew that a chunk of rubber just flew from the front donut and bounced of the driveshaft tunnel - thereafter vibration would kick in.

GV

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
On a second generation RX7, I had a flywheel ring gear (the one that the starter engages to) that came loose and caused symptoms like yours.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts