Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
1984 Spider Veloce
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 S3 Spiders, and the only electrical issue I have not been able to solve on either is the seatbelt buzzer/light. On the 1st, I could get the light to work as it should or the buzzer to work as it should - not both. On my current project, the light & buzzer come on for a few seconds until they time off, regardless of the seatbelt being buckled. Let's focus on this one.

What I know. I have tested all wires from the seatbelt to the device/relay for continuity - all are good. The seatbelt buckle shows continuity when the belt is not buckled and no continuity when it is. Keyed power is being delivered to the device/relay as it should. Power is coming out of the 1 pin (red wire) on the device/relay for the first 5 seconds. (wiring attached)

How I think the device/relay is supposed to work. Keyed power comes in on the brown wire, and is relayed to the red wire (pin 1, which feeds one side of the light and the buzzer). When the circuit is closed (unbuckled) at the seatbelt, power/ground is delivered to the buzzer and light. After 5ish seconds the device/relay switches the 1 pin (red wire) to ground (or off?), which means the buzzer turns off no matter what after 5 seconds, and the light stays on if the circuit is continuous at the seatbelt. Is this correct?

What I don't understand. If the device/relay works as described above, then why does the seatbelt light come on if it's powered on one side by the pink wire (keyed power) and the other side by the red wire (keyed power for the 1st 5 seconds). It seems like it shouldn't come on until the the red wire switches to ground. Of course, I also don't understand why the light and buzzer aren't working as they should!

Is it possible that the completed ground from the seatbelt isn't passing through the buzzer when the device/relay pin 1 switches off?

Thanks for any feedback or ideas!

Ty

Product Rectangle Line Font Parallel

·
Premium Member
1989 Alfa Romeo Spider Graduate
59 Posts
This issue is one that came with my 89 Spider at purchase last April. I pulled the relay while fixing many other items and am now thinking about looking into this one. Give me a week to get up to speed on the wiring and system function then maybe we can help each other.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts