Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I'm nearing "wheels down" on my suspension rebuild, gaining confidence on my rust repairs, so as a little reward to myself, I'm thinking about color.

Here are the constraints:
1. Its a 2000. They look different in some colors (which go flat on the 2000's simpler lines), and I think at least 1 of my finalists wasn't offered on the 2000.
2. I already have a full set of new black seat covers, door cards and carpets. In a small way I regret this, because there are so many amazing color combinations available with red or tan interiors... but for the time being I'm treating it as a constraint. So far as I know, stock 2000 interior parts are not available in red and in my opinion, the non black vinyl colors look cheap. I don't think I can't afford a full custom interior right now, so I'm sticking with black. Constraints aren't bad...
3. I want the car to look period and "italian". Yes that is highly subjective but for me it rules out metallic colors.
4. I like unusual colors... so no Alfa Rosso.

The Finalists listed by increasing color value (darkness) and pictured below in that order. Apologies (or congrats) if I used your pic. Attempted to find 2000's in the right color, shot outside in the sun. Please post more pics if you have them! If you live in CT and want to show off your car in one of these colors, holler (thanks to those who already have...)

1. Biancospino AR202
+ A classic... will look the best with a black interior.
- Might not show off the 'crease' and lines of the 2000 as well as darker colors. Might look plain?

2. Grigio Indaco AR735
+ Fascinating color, should look great with black interior
- Looks like primer? Same concerns about light colors not showing off the crease line.

3. Grigio Grafito AR716
+ Beautiful rich gray. Won't clash with black int, but I've never seen this combo and it might feel dark?
- Really, REALLY looks better with red or tan interior. Also looks better on curvier cars / stepnoses as it brings out more highlights. 2000 might be dull?

4. Rosso Amaranto AR509
+ The red equivalent of above... very rich, dark color shows off the car's lines. Should have a good classic italian sports car feel with black vinyl.
- Sometimes feels muddy... not positive I want red.

5. Dutch Blue AR343
+ The blue equivalent of above... rich, dark, interesting... but REALLY hard to understand in photos. Sometimes looks quite light. I'd love it if it always looked exactly like the photo I posted.
- Biggest liability with black interior (black and blue?) Sometimes I feel like the color is actually very modern looking in a bad way (see it on audis etc). Never seen it in person.

Attachments

·
Registered
375 Posts
A vote for 735!

Wow, I feel your pain.:rolleyes: I went through this about 6 months ago. So many great colors so few cars I own (just one, for the moment):D

The black interior makes it a hard choice. Of your list my favorite is the 716 but that color screens for a red interior. I also really like the 343 but that looks great with a tan interior. I don't mind 509 but don't think I would own it unless I had a few other colors too. 202, never been a big fan but to be honest it has been growing on me.

That leaves 735. What a subtle and bold statement. Look at me I am so beautiful that I don't need all those flakes or that candy apple red or pin stripes. All you other shapes can look at me and see what you could have been had you designer had talent. Maybe I am taking it to far now ;)

This photo says it all http:// http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/gt-1965-1974/23924-idea-how-about-photos-105-gts-only.html#post203565. Great looking car Dale! Almost made me change my color choice when I saw it :)

Miguel

·
Registered
9,829 Posts
My vote would be for Blu Olandese.

BTW, the car shown below (AR 3020174 according to the display) sold last month for $41,800 at the Gooding & Co Auction at Pebble Beach (no affiliation).

Attachments

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Interesting response... so which color did you pick!?

I have to say that when I first stumbled upon Grigio Indaco AR735 I was pretty fascinated and enthralled. I actually met up with a BB member who has a beautiful Junior in this color. Also your link seems to be broken... please check it as I'm dying to see the picture that 'says it all'

Wow, I feel your pain.:rolleyes: I went through this about 6 months ago. So many great colors so few cars I own (just one, for the moment):D

The black interior makes it a hard choice. Of your list my favorite is the 716 but that color screens for a red interior. I also really like the 343 but that looks great with a tan interior. I don't mind 509 but don't think I would own it unless I had a few other colors too. 202, never been a big fan but to be honest it has been growing on me.

That leaves 735. What a subtle and bold statement. Look at me I am so beautiful that I don't need all those flakes or that candy apple red or pin stripes. All you other shapes can look at me and see what you could have been had you designer had talent. Maybe I am taking it to far now ;)

This photo says it all http:// http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/gt-1965-1974/23924-idea-how-about-photos-105-gts-only.html#post203565. Great looking car Dale! Almost made me change my color choice when I saw it :)

Miguel

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tubut - you are a color authority are you not?

That picture is just stunning and makes a great case for Blu Olandese... but what's your opinion on the black interior?

My vote would be for Blu Olandese.

BTW, the car shown below (AR 3020174 according to the display) sold last month for $41,800 at the Gooding & Co Auction at Pebble Beach (no affiliation).

·
Registered
375 Posts
It worked when i put it up don't know what happened try it here: http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/203565-post5.html

So I am building a hot rod, an outlaw (if it was a 911), a gtv for Scuderia Non Originale. I did not stick to the factory palette. I have always been a fan of yellow orche but i wanted something a little more loud. There is a Mazda color that fit the bill very well, competition yellow. You can see pictures of the build over in the engine conversion sub forum.

Tubut, I am interested in hearing your opinion on the Blu Olandese with black interior as well. That GTV in Monterey sure was good looking. But i think the lighter color interior helped it out.

Miguel

·
Registered
352 Posts
Huge dilemma! I suspect we are all in the same boat that we love them all. I had a '69 GTV that I painted a color similar to rosso amaranto. Had a black interior and I loved it. As always, sorry I sold it. I guess that would get my vote. However, that light grey is very beautiful and fits the "unusual" category pretty well.

BTW- what color was the car originally?

·
Registered
786 Posts
I'm partial to the Rosso Amaranto AR509 ;-)....

But the gray is really cool color too. I'd love to have a gray one sitting next to it in the garage...

·
Registered
9,829 Posts
Tubut - you are a color authority are you not?

That picture is just stunning and makes a great case for Blu Olandese... but what's your opinion on the black interior?
No, I'm not an authority on color -- I just collected a lot of data about it and shared some of it with AlfaBB members.

With respect to the interior, I think your idea about deferring an investment is correct: If the interior is good enough keep it the way it is
Code:
-- you can always change it later.

My personal taste is that I think tan leather gives a nice contrast to Blu Olandese but I don't like the tan color at all -- I'd rather have the interior black than tan and I don't think it would take anything away from the cars appearance (inside and out) or value.

·
Premium Member
3,344 Posts
I would verify that a chosen color was available on that model, that year and with a black interior. Very tough choice on colors, I would have to see the choices on the same model
(2000 GTV, with same rims, stance, condition and lighting)

·
Registered
465 Posts
I may be biased, but Bianco Spino (013) is the way to go.

When I first got mine I wasn't that thrilled with the 'plain' white. However when I fitted the platinum Superlite wheels it really transformed the car. I think it looks great now and wouldn't swap it for any of the flashier colours.

Next step is to put some dark tint on the windows to further enhance the brilliant white. This will also help cool it in the summer and protect the upholstery from UV's.

I'm also about to replace the original acrylic paint with two-pack and clear coat, so it will really shine.

Cheers,
wazza
:)

·
Premium Member
631 Posts
Have you seen a good picture of a later car in Bluette? It's kind of a combination of the Grigio Graphite and the Dutch Blue. I dont know offhand if it was originally available on the 2000's though...

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
I'll vote for Rosso Amaranto. It's just so **** classy and shows the lines perfectly. It also kind of pays homage to classic racing Alfas of the 1930s.

FWIW... Le Mans Blue is also one of my favorites.

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Have you seen a good picture of a later car in Bluette? It's kind of a combination of the Grigio Graphite and the Dutch Blue. I dont know offhand if it was originally available on the 2000's though...
It's really hard to find a photo of a GTV in Bluette - there's also some confusion as to if its AR506, AR327 or both. Here's the only good one I have. It is a very intriguing color...

Is there some blue in Grigio Grafito? Or is it a warmer gray?
Anyone have a car in this color in New England / NY?

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
I am very partial to Faggio (AR 516). Of course it is my color which was the original for my car (74 GTV) but not what was on it when i purchased the car in 1981. Went back to it in mid 1990's and think it is one of the more classic colors that always gets complements. Don't have any pictures with me but here is the link to an earlier thread of mine about tires. PIcture makes it seem closer to black than it really is (more like eggplant). I'm sure there are many better examples pictures out there.

Note: I mis-stated the color as Prugna in my post.

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/1040263-post34.html

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
Blu Olandese and redo the interior later in Tan as the budget allows. Normally my preference is against blue cars, but that one at auction just looks perfect.

Generally, I think the lines of the GTV make light colors look a little "slabby" and stark for my personal taste.

Add: That LeMans looks tasty too! And black interior would look right with it as well.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts