Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The passenger seat on my 87 Graduate does not slide forward or backward.
The primary passenger has expressed great displeasure of this situation. To remove the seat the book says to slide the seat all way back and remove the 2 front screws then slide the sear all way forward and remove the 2 rear screws. Unfortunately for me, she's a no slide no kinda way. Does anyone have a suggestion as to how to get the seat out?? I took the seat pad out of the pan hoping that would allow access to something to free the seat up but no go. I believe that the seat only locks on the right side and that side seems willing to slide. I feel like it is frozen on the left side but I cannot find a reason.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Seat will not slide unless the "slide lever" is up completely. If it still won't slide, looks like you have a rusted or seized slide or slides. PB blaster over a few applications should free it up.
TTFN

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Same as above........soak it in PB Blaster for a few days and keep working it. Sit in the seat, pull the lever and keep rocking it back and forth till it loosens up.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Had a similar problem recently with a neighbors fiat spider.
I drilled some access holes through the bottom of the seat pan to access the bolts. Worked like a charm and saves getting oil all over the carpets.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
A 2 X 4 behind the rear of the seat pan will do wonders. Seriously! I had the same problem on a 1988 Veloce. The problem was a combination of rust and under seat debris which had accumulated over the years. Once I got it to move a little, WD-40 and working it back and forth finally got it moving. There are lock tabs in the front of each runner if no one has ever monkeyed with the seat before. You have to remove these lock tabs before you can remove the bolts and lift the seats. These seat bolts are a Metric Allen screw, 2 in each runner. If you do not have a set of Metric Allen wrenches, go buy a set because you will eventually use them repeatedly throughout the car. I suggest a set of Meteric Allens AND a set of Mertic Allen 3/8 drive sockets.

Plenty of patience, a good set of tools, a short 2 X 4, and plenty of beer will do the job nicely.

Good Luck, Robert hill in Memphis, Tn

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
These are my Metric Allen sets. Available at Harbor Freight Tools and Sears tool department. Between the 3 sets, you can get the job done!

Robert

Attachments

·
Registered
65 Posts
Key Note to all

These are my Metric Allen sets. available at Harbor Freight Tools and Sears tool department. Between the 3 sets, you can get the job done!

Robert
Robert shows the ball-end type of metric hex keys (or Allen wrench) which are very important for seat track (and other) work, as they allow for angled operation (which you will surely need). I ordered my set July 4th, along with a molded creeper (25% off sale).
Now, if only Harbor sold that perfect length of pipe for turning the short arms...:D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts