Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"Oh no, here we go again, another rookie that does not know what he has bought..."

Yeah, that is how I felt at first but the fact is that since having become the proud owner of an '85 Spider I still have doubts about the correct "trim" that the car has been sold with. Heres why.

The car looks like a basic Graduate, why? No power windows or electric mirrors, both manual.

But the car also looks like a Veloce. It packs the wood wheel and the "Ferrari" rims, including the spare wheel.

Off the bat I know it is not the Quadriofoglio Verde, there are no "phone dial" rims, no automated mirrors or windows, no AC and no sports skits/bumpers.

What I am now thinking of is either there was difference in trims from market to market or this is an heavily modified Graduate.

I dont have any pictures but am obviously available to hand out any other detail.

Any takes on this?

·
Registered
585 Posts
Possibly trim in different markets...I have an 86 graduate...bought new. It has electric mirrors. It even had a hard-top from the factory. Are the mirrors black or painted like the car? US Spec had injection since the 84-85..so if it has webbers, that is another question. Is there a 3rd brake light..or even a black spoiler? Questions.....

·
Premium Member
1,934 Posts
By the sounds of it, its a Graduate with the addition of Veloce wheels and an aftermarket wooden steering wheel. Where in Portugal are you? My in-laws have a house in the Algarve, and when I go there, I always wish I could bring my car as it would be the ultimate car there!

·
Premium Member
4,518 Posts
"Oh no, here we go again, another rookie that does not know what he has bought..."

Yeah, that is how I felt at first but the fact is that since having become the proud owner of an '85 Spider I still have doubts about the correct "trim" that the car has been sold with. Heres why.

The car looks like a basic Graduate, why? No power windows or electric mirrors, both manual.

But the car also looks like a Veloce. It packs the wood wheel and the "Ferrari" rims, including the spare wheel.

Off the bat I know it is not the Quadriofoglio Verde, there are no "phone dial" rims, no automated mirrors or windows, no AC and no sports skits/bumpers.

What I am now thinking of is either there was difference in trims from market to market or this is an heavily modified Graduate.

I dont have any pictures but am obviously available to hand out any other detail.

Any takes on this?
All 1985 an earlier spiders came with the wood steering wheel. Alfa went to the rubber one for the 1986 model year.

As far as the rims go. The car could have been ordered with them as an option or the dealer added them or someone added them latter on.

As far as the mirrors I don't really remember I know the 1986 graduates had power mirrors and they were different from any of the others.

·
Registered
308 Posts
i have an 85 graduate, factory with no 3rd brake light, dual pod instruments, and chrome non-electric mirrors and manual windows. Wood steering wheel.
Black with burgundy interior
Steel wheels. Apparently lots of options were available for 1985

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow this is totally unexpected, it gets weirder with each input from you guys! I was aware that extras could make things harder to clear out though.

My car clearly had no chrome mirrors from factory, it is still noticeable that there were some different style mounted on because the mount shape on these ones is smaller. Still it does not prove anything of course.

My car was imported from Germany in 2004, it was there since '85 and that justifies the dual webers it packs.

A few other details based on your comments:

- no 3rd brake light
- dual pod instruments
- can't tell if the interior is vinyl or leather

(...)Where in Portugal are you? My in-laws have a house in the Algarve, and when I go there, I always wish I could bring my car as it would be the ultimate car there!
I really have no idea how exotic this car would be in Algarve but that is one of the richest portuguese regions, you can easily spot Lamboghinis, Mazerattis, Porsches, Ferraris and the latest top-of-the-line BMW's, Mercs, etc, I bet there are many classic beauties over there too but they are not seen on the roads as much, I agree on that ;)

·
Registered
8,071 Posts
you could send an email off to Marco Fazio (in english or italian) with the full chassis/VIN number and he will tell you the exact build date of your car, original colour and to whom first delivered........he wont tell you anything about wheels or mirrors of course, but nevertheless useful info to have!

his email:
[email protected]

a european spider wouldn't have a third brake light, that is a US thing.
It would sport the dual webers/dellortos though.
They even made a 1600 version (for places like Italy, Portugal where tax/Bollo was high)....less likely if it is a German car, but not impossible

yours 2.0 or 1.6?

Half the 85 spiders you see for sale in europe have chrome mirrors, half have the black plastic (sometimes color coded)
see:
Suchergebnisse: Pkw bei mobile.de

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
you could send an email off to Marco Fazio (in english or italian) with the full chassis/VIN number and he will tell you the exact build date of your car, original colour and to whom first delivered........he wont tell you anything about wheels or mirrors of course, but nevertheless useful info to have!

his email:
[email protected]
I will definetly try that and learn some more about it!

Mine is definetly European, with the dual webers and no third stop break light. It is the 2000cc version.

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP,
16,232 Posts
That would make the car a model 11538. I show two variants for this model;
2000 Spider Veloce starting with chassis #2465001 and
Spider 2.0 Quadrifoglio Verde starting with 2484011
Both were fitted with engine type 00515.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It is intersting to learn that Series 3 or Series 4 Spiders will never have the "classical car" relevance that its predecessors which actually tells alot about the next classics.

We mainly see high valued classics being the sports, convertiles or coupe versions of each models, but will we have the parts supply for say a MKI Volkswagen Golf GTI or a Opel Calibra as we do for Spiders?

I guess not every sports car will be a classic.

Anyway I have emailed Marco from Alfa Romeo, I wil be revealing the details I get from him as soon as possible.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
In the states one could "Add" options to a Graduate whereas one could not delete things from a Veloce per se.

As far as becoming a "Classic" I feel it's all a matter of time. An 84 is now 30 years old, it's getting close. Sure, some will say anything with "Any" power options cannot be a classic but I dare anyone to say that about the 66 Sedan De Ville I once owned :)

I consider my 84 380SL a classic, but many may not. I think the design is now timeless, and just like my 89 Spider it gets the reaction I expect from a classic. And that's what matters to me. Judges and car clubs be ****ed :p

1 - 14 of 14 Posts