Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please help me find a link/thread on how to repair the cigarette lighter on a 72GTV and, where can I find the rubber grommet that fits at the top of the leather gearshift boot. I am afraid the later is made of unobtainium. TIA, dlb

·
Registered
350 Posts
Taking the console out and working from the back side was the best for me, to remove the lighter. The actual disassemble and reassemble part of the lighter is fairly straightforward, even with all of its parts.

I worked on my lighter soon after purchasing my car. It seemed that when I used the left turn signal with the defroster on and the lighter engaged, fuse #3 would fail. The lighter assembly was loose within and had a bad insulator which caused the high resistance issue.

I wonder if a grommet would work for the gearshift boot. The original is taller, or thicker, but a grommet is similar in concept to the OEM item. I had reused the original when I replaced the vinyl shift boot and the grommet was stitched to the old boot. I've found that it doesn't need to be. Hopefully someone will know where you can purchase a new one.

Good luck,

--Doug

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the lighter out. I'm trying to figure out if it is still functional with a volt meter and can't seem to find continuity between the connections. Also the fine copper piece of metal on the bottom side(don't know what you call it)I believe functions as the shut off when it reaches a certain temperature. How is that supposed to look or be positioned in relation of the end? I'm not a smoker anymore but would like it to be functional.
Yes, hopefully someone knows where to find the gearshift boot grommet. Thanks Doug!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts