Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone,

I am starting work on a 1967 Alfa GT Junior 1300. Yesterday I got the engine running after I don't know how many years it's been sitting still. I had to temporarily replace it's original 40 DCOE carburetors with a couple of 45s I have as it's carbs need rebuilding. The 45s are certainly not setup for this engine, actually nothing is, I just wanted to get it started to see how it sounded and ran off the bat. The rubber carburetor mounts need replacing as they are cracked and let the cards bounce way too much, especially the rear one. In any case I wanted your thoughts on the sound of the engine as I do not have experience in recognizing problematic engine sounds such as pinging, detonation, etc.
I know the engine needs work, the timing is probably off, the carburetor mounts need replacing, the carbs need adjusting, etc. etc. etc., in any case I am curious and would be very grateful in hearing your thoughts. Also, as you can see in the video, two of the cylinders are backfiring. Does this have to do with the timing or carburetors? There is a lot of smoke coming out of the exhaust pipe. Now the car has been sitting for many many years so I'm thinking the smoke has to do with garbage being burt up in the exhaust, however the smoke is white. I believe you get white smoke when antifreeze gets into the cylinders, however the level of antifreeze did not diminish nor is the oil in the engine contaminated. It's been raining these past few days, maybe it's just humidity build up in the pipes? It does smoke a lot though.
Lastly, this car has had a few changes and has a number of fender benders that suggest it's been used on the track, maybe for club racing events. So another question is does the engine sound like a typical 1300cc Alfa GT Junior. I checked the numbers and they match, so it is indeed it's original 1300cc engine.
Any and all constructive thoughts and suggestions are truly appreciated.
Thank you.
Igor

Link to the video on youtube:

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Seems to be quite a lot of white smoke.
Is is sucking brake fluid from the brake booster.?
Maybe = block off the brake booster pipe from the brake booster and evaluate the white smoke then.
The popping of the carbys is usually a lean mixture,,= 45s on a 1300 engine is way too big.
Engine sounds good.
Wind out the mixture screws and see if the backfiring is less.

Robert

·
Super Moderator
11,966 Posts
Really not too bad considering the issues you have discussed. SMELL the smoke. Oil smells like burning oil, and is blueish. Antifreeze has a sweet smell and is white and shows on the plugs as moisture. Brake fluid has a solvent odor, and fuel smells like partially burned fuel. Keep checking fluids. One or another will show loss. It sometimes takes a while for fresh oil to turn to whip cream with water or water and antifreeze added. Look for condensation on the dip stick after running and a cool down, or remove the oil filler cap and see what condenses there. Sometimes a finger in the filler, rubbing the inside of the valve cover will remove something you can analyze. There is always the (ugh) dreaded taste test! Each suspected fluid has a distinct taste in oil. DO NOT DRINK ANY!! A tiny dab on the tip of the tongue followed by spitting rinsing and spitting more is bad enough!

·
Registered
255 Posts
Without any rigid connection between the carburettors, you will not be able to syncronise them. So try to add the air filter alu lower part and syncronise the 2 carburettors. Afterwards you can play with the idle air screws. What about your ignition timing, is that OK ?. Spitting can be caused by wrong ignition timing too.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you everyone for your comments and suggestions. I will look more closely to see if I find any leakage of flyids in the cylinders. i will be running the engine longer tomorrow to see if the smoke goes away. I will be rebuilding the orginal 40DCOE carbs and replacing the carmb mounts soon. I am interested in the longer aluminum mounts in replacement to the orginal rubber ones. I live in California. Does anyone know where I can purchase these mounts with the relative hardware (o-rings and Cosworth buffers) here in the States? I been reading a lot online and seem only to find them in the UK, but not here.
Thank you again for all your help.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After many months of inactivity, recently I did what I had said at the end of January - namely I removed the manifold, reconditioned it, changed the gasket and the carburetor mounts with new ones, rebuilt the carburetors and put everything back together. The engine is running pretty good now, although with a bit less compression than what I would have hoped for: about 155 psi with very slight variation (max 5psi) between cylinders.
I brought Junior out for a test drive but the white smoke from the tailpipe was too much and started getting inside as well. So now I'm trying to solve this important issue. I removed and checked the exhaust and there is a thick layer of sticky dense black oil starting from the exhaust ports all the way down to the end of the tailpipe. At first I was thinking that it's burning engine oil but that did not decrease in level. What I noticed, however, is that the brake fluid in the reservoir is complete gone although I had done the brakes and topped it off just the day before. Reading the past posts in this thread just now at this point I am inclined to think the engine is sucking the brake fluid from the brake booster.
Also, when the engine was running, white smoke was coming out of the large rubber tube that goes from the front right side of the valve cover to the air filter cover.
Can someone please elaborate on how and why the engine sucks brake fluid from the brake booster and what the solution would be? Can I rebuild the brake booster if it is at fault or must I buy a new one (they are quite expensive).
Thank you all again for your help.
Igor

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Be sure to replace the carb mounts... If the old ones are cracked, you're likely to be sucking air through them, leaning out the mixture and making it impossible to determine what the proper carb settings should be... You could also burn a piston... HTH

Best,
Tom

Oops saw you did that... Good idea!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts