Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey, my car has a funny rattle. lol.

i know they all do but this one is puzzling.

it sounds like it is in the fender just behind the driver, it is a clunk sometimes if i hit a pothole, metal on metal, and it is a bit of a rattle on really rough roads. I thought it might be the door, i have taken it all apart and nothing is loose in there, nor can i find anything under the carpet in the back, under the parcel shelf on in the trunk.

everything looks good underneath as well... it's getting to me though!

any ideas?

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Check that the jack is secure behind the front carpet piece in the trunk. Mine was bouncing around until I resecured it in the bracket.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks, it's tight, it's making me crazy, it seems like it's inside the fender but i cannot see what could be loose.

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
Did we drop a tool down into the little pocket area under the hose that goes from fuel cap to fuel tank?

Is the metal one~way valve for the fuel evap system clear of everything, or laying on the deck of the compartment?

Does this occur only when the top is down, and if so, do you have a boot cover and/or the little leather straps on the top release levers to hold them from buzzing?
(not the rubber straps in the rear cargo area, but the straps for the actual handles on the top frame)

There's really nothing in the B-pillar compartment area or even the quarter panel that can give the symptoms you describe on the left side of the car.
The cable(s) for the lever releases might get up against something and buzz, but don't sound like metal, and the harness whip for the hardtop rear window defogger is in there too, but being plastic and very light weight is also not real likely to make the sort of sound you describe.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i was afraid you were going to say there's nothing in there... there are lots of little buzzes from the latches and roof, but the noise is there top up, down etc. even with the door held open (for the longest time i thought it was the striker pin position, but have discarded that idea.)

the valve on mine is plastic. but it doesn't seem to be hitting anything and regardless the noise sounds much more... structural. is there a loose panel perhaps?

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP
16,232 Posts
There's a possibility that Alfa TSB 89.01 may apply here. It describes a "popping" noise (Alfas description) from the rear when going over bumps. The noise may be the result of the rear anti-roll bar contacting a body gusset.
Check for evidence of metal to metal contact on the rollbar (not the end link) and the body gusset next to the upper spring perch (on both sides of the car).

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
<Maxwell Smart>The old 'Alfa TSB 89.01' eh? I knew it!</Maxwell Smart>

that is something i will look at first thing tomorrow!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well i did have a look around under there, gave a few taps with the rubber mallet but really didn't see anything obvious. the anti-roll bar bushings look good to me, no evidence of metal to metal contact but it does make me think you are on to something, is is making me think there is some striction somewhere... although it can occur quite frequently over really bumpy roads.

it looks like a tough job to get that anti-roll bar out...

·
16,232 Posts
Let me guess; the rear suspension was at full droop during the 'tapping' test?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
actually no it was on axle stands so the suspension was loaded, i don't like to get under the car when it's on a jack alone. but i wonder now if it might be more illuminating if i did let the suspension hang?

·
16,232 Posts
I retract my somewhat sarcastic remark. :eek:

Having the rear suspension at static ride height still does not rule out the roll bar though. The reason is that the noise occurs over a bump when the suspension is compressed. Putting some weight in the trunk will solve that easy enough.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
there is some other factor at play here, it's not just that there is compression, ie i cannot make the noise by pushing on the car, side-load, up and down, nothing.

i'm baffled. I will try to record it and see if that helps.

·
Administrator
17,517 Posts
Our Spider made the thump going over bumps. I had my wife jounce on the bumper while I observed underneath but it did not make the noise in the garage.

Then I had my son (2X's my wife's weight) bounce the rear end and I was able to see/hear the roll bar bumping against the body on the left side. I loosened the roll bar bushing bolts, pried the roll bar to the right a little bit, resecured the bushing bolts and the noise has ceased.

·
Premium Member
3,775 Posts
Here was the source of my thump over bumpy roads from the rear driver.

The trunion bar bolt would hit the rear muffler!

Good luck!

Vin

Trunion interfere muffler.jpg

·
Registered
282 Posts
Very interesting.... I just noticed the same thing in my '79 a few days ago. Haven't had time to investigate yet, but I'm paying close attention to this thread.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, ghnl had it right, at least in my case. I found no evidence of contact with the body but I did loosen the bushings for the anti-roll bar and shifted the thing back and forth a little before re-tightening.

NO MORE RATTLE!!!!

I am in heaven. Now I can start tracking down that other rattle that I just noticed. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts