Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to change the light bulbs that light up everything in my instrument cluster-- the speedo, tacho, different guages.

Anyone have instructions/ pics on where all the screws are located to remove and replace the bulbs?

Also, what size are the bulbs?

-Matt

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
I'm trying to change the light bulbs that light up everything in my instrument cluster-- the speedo, tacho, different guages.

Anyone have instructions/ pics on where all the screws are located to remove and replace the bulbs?

Also, what size are the bulbs?

-Matt
Bulbs are 1.2W wedge-base capless design.
The first step is to pick out the two wedge-shaped mylar facings that carry the legends for the illumination dimmer/trip meter reset etc. The mylar (textured film) is attached to a plastic backing strip and this comes out complete with its illumination bulb. Behind these (left and right of the steering wheel) you find the screws that hold the plastic trim at the base of the instrument cluster. Remove it and thread the trim out from behind the steering column covers (lower the steering wheel fully).

The cluster itself just has screws along the bottom edge - going through the white plastic of the cluster housing. The top hood just unhooks from the dashboard. The rest is quite self-explanatory and just involves a few broken fingernails etc. while you extract the plugs and twist the tiny bulb-holders. Do try to test the cluster thoroughly before you refit - do the job at night... don't assume that any other bulbs are still working... ;)

-Alex

·
Registered
423 Posts

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
All of my instrument lights are out. I wouldn't have thought that likely, and since some one of the Previous Owners managed to swap the TEST and trip-odometer RESET buttons, I might just as well accuse him of leaving the plug disconnected that provides power to the illumination. Is this plug (I suspect there is one) a plug which can be accessed without taking the speedo cluster off?

If not, then I'll just have to pull the cluster and replace all of the illumination lamps. Of the bar indicators across the bottom of the cluster, all but two light up with the test button: the ABS and LowOil lights don't light up on "test," but the ABS lights up when the key is turned on before it self-tests. Go figure. I suspect the oil level indicator lamp is burnt out. Are the bottom indicator bulbs the same Sylvania 2721 type as the illumination bulbs?

Michael

A pic from the site above which shows the bulb is http://www.alfa168.net/media/werkstatt/164/instrument08.jpg and there's lots of other nice info there, too.

There's a very good picture of a Sylvania 2721 bulb Jason Minos posted in post #5 of this thread:
http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/164-168-1991-1995/35235-back-gauge-cluster.html

1 - 4 of 4 Posts