Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I snapped the ball off the end of my throttle cable. No biggie. I pulled the old one out (including the aforementioned rubber stopper) got a new cable, and installed new cable. All going well so far.

Then... I tried to get the rubber stopper back into the top of the throttle pedal... I spent the better part of an hour, with different variations of pliers, contorting into all sorts of wonderful positions to try and get the stupid thing back in, and in the end I resorted to a few wraps of electrical tape (to stop the throttle cable ball slipping out the hole) until I figure out how to get this thing back in. I assume it goes in with the larger side facing the firewall? That makes it even more difficult. I could almost get it in with the small conical side facing the firewall, but it would appear that in this orientation it does nothing except stop the cable coming out. If it was the other way around, it would actually rest on the firewall when the pedal was at it's highest point, and potentially relieve a bit of stress on the cable where it comes through. I suspect this may actually be part of the reason my old cable failed, as the rubber was installed the wrong way around...

Anyway, that's a long enough essay about it. Can anyone help with tips for getting it back in? I'm quite sore today after trying yesterday, so I'm not keen to revisit it until I have a plan... :smile2:
Cheers,
Reuben

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Perhaps I should add...
I can see where it is meant to go, and I know how it is supposed to fit and attach, I just can't make it happen lying on my back in the footwell with one arm wedged up behind the dash. It would be in within a minute outside the car with both hands. Does anyone have hints or tricks for doing this on the car? I can't believe you'd have to remove the dash or the pedal assembly!!!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts