Alfa Romeo Forums banner
41 - 43 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
900 Posts
Roadtrip makes an excellent point about cleaning the studs and then applying anti-seize before reassembly. Makes life much easier if/when you need to remove the head. To also minimize corrosion, change the antifreeze at least every two years. I do it every year, which is probably overkill, but antifreeze is cheap. Modern antifreeze contains an additive that keeps it from being an electrolytic solution, but that additive has a finite lifetime, and eventually the dissimilar metal problem will raise its head. There was, locally, a GTV that had been parked in a garage for ten years with old antifreeze in the cooling system. Much of the cylinder head had been chewed away, and the spark plugs had actually fallen into the cylinders.

Bob

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
I have also got the "MAGNETIC" plug which removes minerals from the coolant (I got it from IAP). However, I don't know where to put it on, and it is still inside my toolbox :D

Regarding the head removal tool, I saw it severals times on eBay (after replacing my gasket). It looks like a quality reproduction of the factory tool. I will post a link as soon as I see it again.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Silly question, but you're 100% sure you've removed the two under-head bolts by the front cover? I always have to remind myself to remove those before pulling the head.

Best of luck,

Steve Schaeffer
Seattle, WA

41 - 43 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.