Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening to all of you!, All the best from Guatemala Central America, im new to the forum and I know you’ll all have great comments or suggestionos for my rebuild. I ran into a problem with my 1991 Alfa Romeo 164 Quadrifoglio Verde 12v, a few weeks ago was driving back home and my oil light came on and since I was close to the house decided to wait to get home to check...HUGE MISTAKE!!! the oil pressure dropped and the car came to a complete stop at the light.... to make the story i sort of blew the engine, and im sourcing all the parts or maybe buy a motor. Luckily I found one but need some Forum Guidance:

I just found a 1991 164s 12v motor and wanted to know if I can use it to rebuild my 164 QV 12v, are there significant differences?. Im under the impression that everything is pretty much the same!. looking forward to your input!

Thanks!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Hello, welcome to the forum! I do not know much about those engines but somebody will chime in soon to help out. Very nice car you have!

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
most likely it's just the crank and all bearings that need replacing. Just inspect everything including the donor engine to make sure everything is to factory spec, clean your original block of all debris, especially oil pump incase pieces of bearing is stuck in there and replace all those parts I mentioned and you should be fine. The major mechanical differences are the pistons and cams.

·
Premium Member
27,458 Posts
What are engine serial numbers of both engines? Numbers located located on rear of engine block underneath back of front head under distributor cap area.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to all of you for the help, im waiting for the motor numbers of the old and new motor and will get back to all of you!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hello to all! Im in luck, the motor seems to be an exact fit to my car. Here are the details of my car and donor motor number. Please guide me on what parts you recommend to change before installing new motor onto my car.
Donor motor:
AR64301000151

photo attached is my info card of my car.

Thanks!!

·
Premium Member
27,458 Posts
Are you going to be the mechanic? Any history on the engine you are installing? Does it have oil fed timing belt tensioner or mechanical tensioner? How many miles/kilometers on it?

Things to replace/inspect:
1. timing belt BUT first set up engine at top dead center using cam timing template before removing belt.
1.5 inspect timing belt tensioner, if oil fed does it show sign of leaking and is bearing noisy. AND If mechanical is outer spring broken?
2. water pump
3. two coolant hose between heads and water pump thermostat housing
4. Inspect clutch pressure plate, clutch disc and throw out bearing
5. Have your old engine starter rebuilt.

Cam timing pdf template. Print it off on 8 1/2 x14 paper at 100% scale setting. This is Rick's Template he posted for us to use.

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/att...95/66906d1179330802-cam-timing-cam-timing.pdf

Checking cam timing on 12v V6 engine in car: Checking Alfa 164 12v V6 engine cam timing

More posts on the 164 maintenance help:
Reposting page 1 Hope there is something of interest and helpful in this maintenance sticky of mine | Alfa Romeo Forums (alfabb.com)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Are you going to be the mechanic? Any history on the engine you are installing? Does it have oil fed timing belt tensioner or mechanical tensioner? How many miles/kilometers on it?

Things to replace/inspect:
1. timing belt BUT first set up engine at top dead center using cam timing template before removing belt.
1.5 inspect timing belt tensioner, if oil fed does it show sign of leaking and is bearing noisy. AND If mechanical is outer spring broken?
2. water pump
3. two coolant hose between heads and water pump thermostat housing
4. Inspect clutch pressure plate, clutch disc and throw out bearing
5. Have your old engine starter rebuilt.

Cam timing pdf template. Print it off on 8 1/2 x14 paper at 100% scale setting. This is Rick's Template he posted for us to use.

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/att...95/66906d1179330802-cam-timing-cam-timing.pdf

Checking cam timing on 12v V6 engine in car: Checking Alfa 164 12v V6 engine cam timing

More posts on the 164 maintenance help:
Reposting page 1 Hope there is something of interest and helpful in this maintenance sticky of mine | Alfa Romeo Forums (alfabb.com)
Thank you Steve for your insight. I fortunately will not be the mechanic!, I have a proper mechanic who has vast experience and took my old engine apart to start the overwhelming process to get it back on the road. We have been lucky since my unfortunate event happened in sour ing the right parts and expert help from people just like all of you!. The donor motor is a pretty healthy one, it has been recently taken out of a 1991 164s with only 60K miles. All the recommendations are valid and will take them all into consideration while getting my car back on the road!.

Anyone have link to a Manual for my reference!?

·
Premium Member
27,458 Posts
www.cardisc.com has dvd. Paper manuals on ebay shop 900 pages, wiring 900 pages.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
You have a beautiful Alfa Romeo and it is well worth rebuilding (or replacing) the engine. I would definitely have the starter, clutch assembly (including the throw out bearing!), timing belt and water pump replaced. The power steering rack should be thoroughly checked out and rebuilt or replaced -if it is at all suspect.

Great photograph too! It appears that you have more modern wheels and side mirrors, like the ones that came on cars with 24 valve engines (Quadrifoglio) in the states.

Mark

·
Premium Member
1,371 Posts
The wheels are Alfa 916 wheels, 16", I like how they look on the 164, I got some for my car too.

·
Premium Member
16,453 Posts
The first 164 I had the chance to see was at a winery in California. It was a completely refrigerator white 91S, not even different colored stripes. In the bright Cal sun, it was... somewhat overpowering. You defintely needed sunglasses if you looked at it, lol.

Reactions: esantella

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You have a beautiful Alfa Romeo and it is well worth rebuilding (or replacing) the engine. I would definitely have the starter, clutch assembly (including the throw out bearing!), timing belt and water pump replaced. The power steering rack should be thoroughly checked out and rebuilt or replaced -if it is at all suspect.

Great photograph too! It appears that you have more modern wheels and side mirrors, like the ones that came on cars with 24 valve engines (Quadrifoglio) in the states.

Mark
-thanks for the update!.

regards

1 - 14 of 14 Posts