Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not able to pin down what type of steering wheel came with my Giuletta. At first I thought that it was from a Giulia, but after trying to match it to pictures in the Illustrated Alfa Buyer's Guide, I am stumped.

The PO remarked that he thought that it came from a Sprint Special, but pictures don't back that up, either.

The closest that I have seen to it is either a Giulia Berlina or a Ti Super.

Any thoughts on where this guy belongs?

Thanks as always,

Jon

Attachments

·
Premium Member
291 Posts
I agree with Pat -- the wheel is a Giulia item (I had one on a previous '63 Spider, and my '62 and '64 Sprints). This wheel was apparently used on the '62 through '64 Giulias, but neither of my two '65 Spiders has the aluminum frame visible around the circumference of the wheel (possibly the factory ran out and had switched to the Sprint GT wheel). The horn button was used on Giulietta Spiders, but I don't know if it was also used on the closed cars.
Jim

·
Super Moderator
11,397 Posts
Steering wheels, hubs, and buttons.

I think you have it nailed down. From my experience, the Giulia's used this style wheel into 64, then somewhere switched to the one without the frame visible on the inside of the rim. The SS wheel has a different hub as the column is different. I have seen the horn button on on the closed cars like this, but to be honest, I have worked on so few of the older closed cars, I do not remember when.
:DGordon Raymond

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Jon
Apart from the horn button, it's a standard issue Giulia 101 steering wheel.
(Preferred by many to the 750 wheel and trim)

Patrick - notice the 750 gauges in this original press release photo!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,243 Posts
For what it's worth, my Spider is a late 62 Giulietta that probably came originally with the 1600 and 5 speed.

The center of the steering wheel has the button in the middle and the ring--one does the horn and the other flashes the headlights-can't remember which one does what. But it is nice feature.:)

·
Premium Member
900 Posts
The light-flasher button is from a Giulietta Spider. Why they used the label "Special" for the Spider is beyond me.

·
Registered
812 Posts
The same wheel, but with a different center, was also used on the 102/106 cars.

Arno Leskinen
AROC-USA National Concours Chair

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
I came to this thread late too, but after trying to find in Padua a SZ wheel and boss for a chum in LA I have found it all depends on the boss. The wheel appears to be generic but the boss determines which model. Some are flat with a protruding collar for the steering shaft taper and some appear to be hollow with a recessed taper. Anybody have the concise information on what fits what?

·
Super Moderator
11,397 Posts
Stuart,
This is harder and easier than it sounds. I recently mounted a NOS Nardi in a Alfa SS.
Nothing is available, but I was able to borrow an Alfa aluminum Nardi upper hub. The rest was fabricated of aluminum stock on my lathe. Lots of trial fitting, but eventually it came out perfectly, wheel, the correct distance from the dash, and the hub covering the turn indicator assembly. I actually ended up with 2 bottom hubs. the lowest covered the turn indicator assembly, and mounted to the column with it's single bolt. The upper hub spaced the wheel correctly, and bolted with flush cap screws to the lower hub. The wheel and Nardi upper hub (borrowed) then bolted to the sandwiched assembly below, that was machined to match both the outer column and back wheel face profiles.
This was time consuming, but the finished job appears period correct and original.
:DGordon Raymond

1 - 11 of 11 Posts