Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought these were the appropriate rear brake shoes for the SS/SV 3-front-shoe set up. Upon closer inspection it appears they are not (I say this because they don't fill the wear surface of the interior of the corresponding rear drums, which are 60 mm wide, and don't look like the pictures of p/n 101.20.26.022(023).00 -- or any other brake shoes -- in my Giulietta parts book).

Do any of you recognize them? I have a set of four which all appear to have the same configuration. The surface of the shoes is 50 mm wide x 250 mm long; the wear surface of the lining is about 232 mm long. Three of the shoes have casting marks 103E 4009076 (and then 1A or 1D) and one has no casting marks.

Any help would be fery appreciated.

David
59ALFA

Attachments

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just pulled out a standard Giulietta rear brake shoe. Which is much wimpier than the shoes in question as shown in photos. Also standard shoe has lining surface of 44 mm wide x 212 mm long.

Still doesn't answer my original question.

David

Attachments

·
Premium Member
21,196 Posts
The steel ones are regular rears; the square hole is for the parking brake actuation. The alum ones look like non-Veloce two-shoe brakes. The three-shoe are much shorter, less than a third of a circle.
Here are 101 Veloce two-shoe fronts. Normale and Veloce two-shoe shoes will fit either car, just that the Veloce shoes are more substantial.
Andrew

Attachments

·
Premium Member
21,196 Posts
Ooh, now that I look further, I think I'm wrong about yours. The arc of your alum shoes is quite different from mine. Maybe not Giulietta?
Andrew

·
Premium Member
21,196 Posts
Could it be the late cars, when the finned brakes move to the rear? I don't see how the parking brake would work, or the screw adjuster, but I also have never looked at one of those.
Andrew

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Andrew,

Thanks for your thoughts. Here is another photo of the standard steel rear shoe and one of the Al castings in question -- they both have the same curve for mounting the linings. And although the Al shoes are somewhat shorter overall, the length of the linings is a little longer on these.

In this photo you can aslo see how much more robust these shoes are.

David

Attachments

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
I thought that these brake shoes looked like SS/SZ rear brake shoes, but looked at illustrations in my Giulietta parts book and the shoes are not the same. The brake linings are riveted and not bonded like the shoes in question. I do not think that the shoes are for Giulietta cars.

·
Super Moderator
3,535 Posts
Agree with Andrew & John, those are not Giulietta brake shoes, I have all the versions in my collection and none match those you posted.

Ciao
Greig

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not Giulietta shoes. Okay that is what they are not. Any ideas what they are? My recollection is that I pulled the shoes off an old spider in the 1980's and sent to Tom Zat to have relined, and this is what I got back (and assumed were what I sent him to begin with).

Still hoping for that Aha moment.

David

·
Premium Member
21,196 Posts
Ferrari? 1900? Don't they have similar shoes? I'd expect them to be bigger though.
Girling-license drums were similar from maker to maker, my 240Z's rear brakes were functionally identical to a Giulietta's, as I think are Austin Healey. But those shoe castings sure look Alfa to me, not Lancia, Austin Healey, whatever.
Andrew

·
Premium Member
21,196 Posts
Maybe through simple error you sent in Giulietta shoes and got something else back, at the time?
Andrew

1 - 13 of 13 Posts