Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone help me with identifying these Venolia pistons.

They are stamped inside Venolia and RT>. They are 78.9 mm across the shirts so are for a 79mm bore. The dome rises 20.6 mm above the deck line with large valve pockets. 3 rings

An old Shankle Automotive Engineering catalogue offered Racing pistons for 79 mm 1600s. Said to be 12.0:1. The top of my pistons appear to be as forged, so not adjusted by milling.

Thanks

Ken

DSCN8552.JPG
DSCN8629.JPG
DSCN8630.JPG
DSCN8632.JPG
DSCN8635.JPG

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
Ken,

It is hard to know if the simple picture in the Shankle catalog is an accurate representation of their pistons or not but your pistons don't look anything like the ones shown. Your Venolia piston resembles the JE Apple Bite Pistons I remembered seeing on the Paul Spruell Motorsport site when I was ordering parts to rebuild my 1600 Duetto engine. Perhaps the JE pistons are a rendition of the Venolia pistons.

Mark

·
Premium Member
13,687 Posts
I don't see a strong resemblance to the Spruell apple bite pistons. The general shape is similar to the Venolias that I had in my previous 2L motor. Venolia sold the pistons with plain domes and the buyer (in my case Alan Ward) machined the valve pockets similar to the earlier Cosworth pattern. My current Arias pistons were also sold with a plain dome and machined by Jim Steck. I know that Arias and Ross will supply pistons machined to a supplied pattern and maybe Venolia would do too for Shankle but they went out of business.

·
Super Moderator
11,434 Posts
Here are some photos that might help. First is a set of installed 79 mm JE high dome GTA pistons in my single plug Ausca test engine. I had the high crown cut by JE to flat top these for better flame front. Compression is still 10.7 / <11:1.
Next is one of my GTA 79mm Venolias out of my GTA engine. Note that these look less like your sample than the one you picture. My guess is they are JE 79mm GTA. BTW, the high dome doesn't generate the power of the flat topped version.

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I'll answer my own question. Today I stumbled onto the 2007 BB advert by ROGERSPEED, aka Roger Korsak, where I bought the pistons, liners and rods.

" For sale a set of Shankle Super Sport Racing Forged pistons by Venolia for 1600, they are loaded with rings in the appropriately bored and honed liners with a matched set of stock rods and new bolts/pins. These are 12:1 compression, I was thinking of using in my 67GTV, but it is a street restoration. Thank you, Roger "

Now that I have IDed them they are for sale. See for PARTS FOR SALE forum.

Ciao

Ken

1 - 5 of 5 Posts