Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A funny thing a happened on the way to the Desert Concours... I was on my way to my mother-in-law's house to stay overnight before heading down to La Quinta for the show. On my way through Hemet I went through a huge and unmarked flooded spot on the highway. Didn't think much about it until I pulled into the garage for the night. Smell of raw gas filled the air. I looked under the car and saw the fuel filter and connected braided line hanging down and a steady drip of gas hitting the garage floor. I quickly mopped up the gas, and felt around the filter. I was able to move it back into position, parallel to the floor, but gas is still dripping from the aft end of the canister. I moved car back out into the driveway so what ever dripped out wouldn't stay in the garage. I don't have a jack handy tonight, but maybe tomorrow morning.

Any suggestions as to what can be done at this point?

·
Registered
353 Posts
Check and see if the hose nipple has separated from the fuel filter. See if the hose is all the way on both the pump and the filter. See if the clamps are secure. See if the hose is torn.

It may help to put the rear tire up on a curb with the front down in the gutter to give you more room to crawl around under there.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Zig. I'll try that trick on the curb tomorrow morning. Mille grazie.

·
Premium Member
27,300 Posts
Rear supply hose from tank to filter is 12mm hose.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got under it yesterday morning with my brother in law's help (he brought the jack and jack stands). It looks like it wasn't the fuel filter, but something in the fuel pump as it was leaking gas from both ends of the pump. The pump wasn't running, but gas kept leaking out. I called AAA and had it towed 90 miles back to my mechanic's shop and it leaked all the way down.

So thanks for all the suggestions and will let you know what the actual issue was.

Stay away from standing water after a heavy rainstorm. You never know what's under the surface.

Ciao!

·
Premium Member
14,548 Posts
If you have to replace the 12mm hose make sure that you get the thick walled stuff. I used some gates fuel hose from a local parts place and it kinked at the 180 turn and destroyed a fuel pump. IAP sells the good hose.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you have to replace the 12mm hose make sure that you get the thick walled stuff. I used some gates fuel hose from a local parts place and it kinked at the 180 turn and destroyed a fuel pump. IAP sells the good hose.
Thanks, Ed. Margherita is in the capable hands of the mechanic now. I will make sure that he uses the correct hose type.

Ciao!

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Turns out that it was indeed the fuel hose that had deteriorated, in the extreme. Didn't take much force to make it crumble. Rathmann Auto Works has a supply of this hose now, so if you need some, you can contact erik at rathmannautoworks dot com. He will most likely make you a deal on it.

Thanks to all who made suggestions. Margherita is on her way back to the fast lane; she still has some issues, but is at least functioning and not dripping vital fluids. :)

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
The problem isn't usually sourcing the hose, it's the 180 degree bend the hose makes. It has very little space to make that turn so it needs to be a molded piece like the factory used (yes I have them).

As an alternative, you can reverse the pump and filter locations and run straight hose all the way through.

Greg,
Silicone Hose Kits

·
Registered
224 Posts
Is there any good reason for the convoluted path the fuel hose takes? It seems to go round in circles. Does reversing the location of the filter and pump and running straight lengths cause any issues?

Thanks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts