Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '71 GTV and it will drain a battery overnight. If I disconnect the battery and then re-connect it the next day I hear a "click" under the dash on the driver's side. I have tried the removal of fuses trick with no luck. Anyone have any idea what relay, etc. could cause this?

·
Registered
228 Posts
just a thought...does car has a rear screen defrost switch? Check if it is on , on 2000 dont have any bulb in to remind you, also couldnt remember right now if this switch can be worked with the ignition off. But if does, it drows lot of current.

·
Premium Member
3,350 Posts
Take one battery clamp off the battery and put an ameter between the disconected post and clamp and read your milliamp draw. Then remove 1 fuse at a time until the current drain stops and that would be the circuit. Unless its on an unfused circuit, this should get you closer. Reference the fuse # to the wiring diagram for your model and you should be close to your answer.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Current Draw

Thanks for the suggestions. I appreciate the help.
Brad Fischer & Frogeye: I didn't connect it to a meter, but looked for spark between the positive cable and the battery after removing each fuse. Still an ultra-small spark after every removal. I will try the meter method soon and report.
Pappjam: I can just hear it coming from somewhere under the dash. Not sure of the source.
Powella: It does not have any aftermarket alarms/locking, not even a radio.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Schumi,
I have a similar problem occurring with my 67 GTV.

I've been meaning to track down the source of the problem for a while.
I discovered that after the engine was switched off, the ignition coil would become extremely hot. As hot as an iron in fact. So power to the coil wasn't actually being "switched" off.

After some testing, I found that power to the ignition coil was actually being reversed in polarity when the ignition was switched off???

This is simply the result of many owners, mechanics, electricians mucking with things over the years.
I still haven't completely sorted it, but I'm close.
I've found the source of the problem, but not the actual cause.

I'm certain it will simply be the result of a poorly considered modification made somewhere along the line. There were more than a few added electrical extras on my car when I found it. Including massive rectangular fog lights cut into the grille!!!!

As it spends a lot of time garaged, I remove the battery and place on a charger as a matter of habit anyway, so it's not my greatest priority in life.

But maybe you should take to the coil with a multimeter or test light. You never know.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Electrical Gremlin

Thank you for the response. I will get a meter on it and see what it says. I haven't tried that yet. The ignition system is newer. Thanks, Daren

1 - 9 of 9 Posts