Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Does anyone know where I can find a heater hose for a 1992 Spider S4. It's the hose that goes from the head to the firewall. I circled it in red. My mechanic is having trouble getting the hose - he's not an Alfa only mechanic and the local parts houses don't have the hose.

Thank you.

Greg

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
I did notice there are 2 versions depending whether you have the throttle rod, or the throttle cable
this is a 91(hose off plenum, throttle rod)
s4 91.jpeg
and this a 92 (hose off intake manifold, newer throttle cable)
s4 92.jpg

as here in Vin's post, the two intake manifolds
Wanted: alfa spider S3/S4 motronic intake manifold

the parts book list 2 numbers, 60517011 and 60565072
(Centerline list 60517011 although no mention of our s4 spiders, so don't know really what they mean)
Heater Hose 115 | Centerline International

parts book page here:
heater s4.jpg

my guess is, it is more likely 60565072 you need.
Try one of the shops like alfissimo

I just realised of course, that all that doesn't help you much in your search:)
but someone looking in might know where to get one!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I stand corrected. The hose is coming out of the intake manifold. When I first looked, I thought it was the head - I made an assumption since that's where I thought it would be!

60565072 is the part I need. Now I need to find it.

If anyone knows where I can get one, please let me know.

Thank you.

Greg

·
Registered
1978 Spider
199 Posts
I think you are only gonna find that at the Alfa vendors...CA, Centerline, Alfaholics, vicks, etc...

Specialty curved hoses like that are kinda niche...

you could likely make it work with regular heater hose but will have to get creative, long and ugly with making the bends..

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great news! I reached out to Alfa Parts in Berkeley and they were awesome. There's a replacement part number 60517011 and they have it! Very quick, easy to work with and knowledgeable!

They also like us to order over the phone - I like that!

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
Okp Hose is same as in my link above from centerline
I mean those are as close as you are gonna get
It might even work.
I have never seen the hose for the cable throttle S4 spiders.
If someone has an old one ( or the PO?) post a photo

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
Yes but that PN from alfa parts is for the S4 with throttle rod
Not saying it won’t work

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is this the hose? Looks like OKP has it.

Thanks Gubi,

I just went to OKP's site and it looks like they have it, but it could be for the late S3 or 1991 S4 vs the 1992 S4. I couldn't tell.

I'll keep their information, because I know I'll be buying more parts.

Thanks for your help.

Greg

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I called Alfa Parts one more time. I spoke to the mechanic and he sent pictures. I described it to the guy at Alfa Parts and he said that the correct part is 60517011 for the 1992 and newer Spiders.

He assured me it's the right part. He knew the part for 1989 to 1991 was the one that goes from the plenium to the heater box.

I have my fingers crossed!

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
Sounds good!
got A Photo?

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,205 Posts
Huh, I never knew they changed that hose over the run of the S4.

Worst case, in looking at my car I bet you could make the '91 hose work. You would need one of those metal spring "hose bender" things to make that 90-degree turn at the end, but it should be pretty easy to Macgyver.

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
What about the photos Alf’s parts sent you?
I’d like to see the difference between that and the hoses offered here for the s4

·
Premium Member
3,608 Posts
This is what I did.

I went to my local parts store, brought the outlet from the intake manifold, asked for a 90 degree hose that would fit.
IMG_9030.JPG

IMG_9032.JPG

I then got a barbed connector to fit the new 90 degree hose and the existing heater hose.

IMG_9034.JPG

Used some sealant at the connections and joined the 2 hoses.

IMG_9036.JPG

Not the prettiest but has held on since 2012.

Reason why I went this route is that I didn't want to deal with the other end. The one at the heater core.

Hope that helps.

Vin

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This is what I did.

I went to my local parts store, brought the outlet from the intake manifold, asked for a 90 degree hose that would fit.
View attachment 1618474

View attachment 1618471

I then got a barbed connector to fit the new 90 degree hose and the existing heater hose.

View attachment 1618472

Used some sealant at the connections and joined the 2 hoses.

View attachment 1618473

Not the prettiest but has held on since 2012.

Reason why I went this route is that I didn't want to deal with the other end. The one at the heater core.

Hope that helps.

Vin
I was thinking about doing that, but when I grab the hose, it's soft in a few places, so I think it would be best to change the entire hose. I don't want to mess with the heater core connection, but I'm going to do it.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What about the photos Alf’s parts sent you?
I’d like to see the difference between that and the hoses offered here for the s4
The one I received from Alfa Parts is the correct hose. It has the 180 degree curve at the end - The earlier version has a 90 degree and mounts the the plenum.

I'm impress with the guys at Alfa Parts. He knows his stuff!

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
it begs the question why alfa changed this.
I know the change was made when the S4 went over to a throttle cable set up (1992-ish), but the hose doesn't interfere with anything to do with that.

the heater core connection is not too bad to get at, you have to be a circus artist to get under there, but if you spray around the firewall rubber grommet with silicone spray it is easier to R&R.
green slimey coolant will leak out and make things messy.

Best have someone push from the engine compartment, as you line up the end of the hose with the heater valve and shout instructions from under the dash;)

still like to see a photo of the hose to see the difference, if poss. when you reveive it. Thanks(y)

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I read that the reason for the change is that the new system doesn't need to be bled. This is what I heard.

I'll send pictures in the next day or so.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts