Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm restoring a 74 spider and am having some trouble diagnosing and fixing a series of electrical problems so I'll just list all them one by one:
1. Turn signals (front and rear) work but flash at a very rapid pace.
2. Brake lights not working but tail lights do.
3. Tail lights, side markers and front and rear directional lights all stay on even when no key is in and the headlights are not on. Only turns off when i disconnect the battery.

All the fuses are intact, all the bulbs are good.

What is wrong and how can i fix/test it?

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
1. Turn signals (front and rear) work but flash at a very rapid pace.
Bad/dirty grounds, a lamp is out somewhere, or you're WAY off on the wattage. (even moreso if you've used LED's instead of conventioanl bulbs)

2. Brake lights not working but tail lights do
Dou7ble check fuses, check switch at top of brake pedal arm, check bulbs, check grounds

3. Tail lights, side markers and front and rear directional lights all stay on even when no key is in and the headlights are not on. Only turns off when i disconnect the battery.
Have you tried the light switch? (no, really)

All the fuses are intact, all the bulbs are good.
Only if they were brand new a couple days ago and tested before install. Otherwise saying they're good is just so much fluff.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok so update on the electrical issues.

1. when i turn on the directionals the flash once then stay solid
2. when i turn on the hazards they flash once then stay solid

in both instances i can hear a really fast clicking noise (relay?) could the flasher be shorted out or something?

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
I had this happen in my 71 Spider some years back.... Unfortunately your turn signal relay box is shot.

This part is mounted on the underside of the steering column, its a rectangular looking black box with a few wires going into it and its screwed in.

I hate to say it but this part is made of the rare substance UNOBTAINIUM; it is no longer made by anyone new. Your best bet is to get creative and wire up a replacement using a turn signal relay from a newer alfa, or to try and get an electronics shop to rebuild your part.

They are available used and in good working condition but finding one is getting harder and harder. Being in KY as well, I would try contacting Paul (Gt601 on the BB); there is a place out near Louisville that breaks apart ONLY alfas. This isnt his place mind you but he will have the info as I have only been there once.

Cheers
Martin.

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
I assume you have a wiring diagram and are familiar with basic electrical troublshooting. If you don't have a wire diagram, contact Papajam.

Parking lights - Is the steering column stalk switch OFF? It rotates from OFF to Parking Lights to Headlights. If the lights are staying on then you may have a bad headlight switch.

Brake lights - Check the brake light switch down on the brake pedal. When you push the brake pedal, the switch should ground and complete the brake light circuit.

Flashers - Sounds like your flasher unit is bad. Original 4 wire flashers are NLA, however you can substitute an ordinary parts store 3 wire flasher. See this link: http://centerlinealfa.com/tips/images/installation/flashers.pdf

Or this guide:

Attachments

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP
16,232 Posts
A simple fix using a locally available flasher is described here.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts