Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
WANTED: GTA & GTAm Parts
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello All:

I would like to run 15" GTA style wheels on my Hot-Rodded 1959 Giulietta Spider. Can anyone tell me if they have done this before and will they fit? What offset was used? and what tire size was installed?...

...Or can anyone tell me the largest wheel (15") and tire combination that has worked for them on a early 60's Giulietta? I have upgraded all of the drum brakes to disks.

Thanks so much!

Attachments

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
A lot depends on how high/low the body sits on its suspension.....

·
Premium Member
6,243 Posts
RMR Restorations has an alloy replica of the SZ mag wheel--used for competition in the early 60s.

On 101s the max width is 5 inches--no interference.

·
Registered
4,380 Posts
I would like to run 15" GTA style wheels on my Hot-Rodded 1959 Giulietta Spider. Can anyone tell me if they have done this before and will they fit? What offset was used? and what tire size was installed?...

The ony 15" GTA style wheels that I know of are made by Alfaholics and have a 7in rim width so even with extensive flares (which you obviously don't have and aren't planning getting them under your car would be iffy at best.

Giuliettas don't have a lot of clearance to begin with so, as Subtle mentions, you're pretty much limited to 15x5in wheels. Classic Alfa sells some neat TI/Super/TZ replicas with 5in width. Here are some on a Sprint Coupe.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
You should be asking.....
what is the best high performance wheel and tire combo for the Giulietta.
Biggest isn't always the best.....

·
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The ony 15" GTA style wheels that I know of are made by Alfaholics and have a 7in rim width so even with extensive flares (which you obviously don't have and aren't planning getting them under your car would be iffy at best.

Giuliettas don't have a lot of clearance to begin with so, as Subtle mentions, you're pretty much limited to 15x5in wheels. Classic Alfa sells some neat TI/Super/TZ replicas with 5in width. Here are some on a Sprint Coupe.
Thanks so much 180OUT!... I have used the TZ wheels on my 1959 Sprint Vintage race car (below) but wanted to try something new for the Spider. I assumed I would end up using the TZ wheels but just thought I would ask and see if someone has tried something different i.e Panasport, GTA replica, etc.

Thanks Again!

Attachments

·
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mini-Lite replicas would be period stuff.

:cool::cool:
You should be asking.....
what is the best high performance wheel and tire combo for the Giulietta.
Biggest isn't always the best.....
I'm not trying to be rude but I'm looking for a solution or recommendations that will work not suggestions without information.

If you say "Mini-Lite replicas would be period stuff" then please follow up with -- 15" Mini-Lite's with a 33mm backspacing in the front and 28mm in the rear with 195/60/15 Hoosier Street TD's would fit... I'm looking for information on fitment, specifically if anyone has used a GTA replica rim on a Spider and if so what was the offset and tire combination. I have already rolled the fenders if that helps also.

Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
6,243 Posts
I'm using the SZ alloys with 165/80/15 Vredestein Classics on my Sprint. Needed a little taller as it has a 4.56 diff.

On a Tour at the end of April part of it was through farmland with nicely banked 90 degree turns. Could accelerate out of the bends with a Porsche 911 SC. When stopping for a break the driver asked if I had a six cylinder under the hood.:cool:

It's a strong 2 L and the message is that with the latest Alfaholics diff the torque was getting to the pavement with very little wheel spin. The tires are very good in the wet.

I had a Giulia Super in the late 1960s and with the best tires, then, could usually get some wheel spin, or chunk the treads on the track.

Just guessing, but these Vreds have about 30 to 40% better traction than the best of 40 years ago.

Original size on my Spider as it has a 4.10. Have had more track days with this car and the Vreds are good for my purposes.

If I had a tire shop I might be able to answer, in detail, all of your questions.

Just a volunteer.

:cool:

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Mark,

FYI my Giulietta vintage racer has run for years on 6"-wide wheels with 185/65-15 Speedsters. The wheels are Borrani centers (oval holes) with wider rims and close to the original offset. Spacers in the front help to clear the upper ball joint.

Cheers,

Sid Gage
San Francisco

·
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mark,

FYI my Giulietta vintage racer has run for years on 6"-wide wheels with 185/65-15 Speedsters. The wheels are Borrani centers (oval holes) with wider rims and close to the original offset. Spacers in the front help to clear the upper ball joint.

Cheers,

Sid Gage
San Francisco
Thanks Sid!

I'm going to investigate the fitment of the GTA wheels off my Super (below) that has 185/55R15 Toyo Proxes. If that doesn't work then I will probably go with the replica TZ rims.

BTW - Who made your custom 6" rims?

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts