Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all

After many years and tons of frustration, I've finally received (or taken back, rather) my GTV project from my body shop.

While they did excellent work on the body, they did end up losing many parts (some small, some not so small) that thankfully I can replace.

One of the issues is that they left all my parts exposed in their shop over the years, and pretty much everything is covered in primer overspray or filler dust. Easy to remove on stainless steel, but this stuff is NOT coming off my beautiful, original dark brown seats.

So far I've tried Palmolive, hand sanitizer, nail polish remover, goo-gone and pumice based mechanics hand cleaner with no luck.

I have goo-gone brand overspray removal spray, but testing it on the backside works but discolors the dye in the vinyl.

At this point I don't know what else to try. Any suggestions? :(

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,478 Posts
Agh. If it's actually paint, most stuff I can think of that'll strip it will also damage vinyl.

Looks like a lot of it may just be body filler powder stuck in the pores. Maybe try using an upholstery extractor (like a Little Green) with some water-based cleaner and a fine bristled brush to see if you can dislodge it and suck it out?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes its most likely filler dust, because it was never in the spray booth, just the small garage where they worked on the car, and plenty of other cars. I've been scrubbing with a brush and even a Scotchbrite pad and getting nowhere....sigh...

·
Registered
35 Posts
As it lifts the dust you might try carpet cleaner (first on an unvisible spot).
Steamer?
Google "how to clean leather sofas" and you the above 2 answers.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
I remember being faced with that and tried some solvents such as Varsol. My seats did not have the original vinyl so yours may react differently. Try varsol on an invisible surface, allow to dry and see if it has become dull.

If all else fails, see a professional upholstery cleaner.

·
Registered
118 Posts
If it's any consolation I am suffering exactly the same issue on $3k worth of newly reupholstered red leather interior on one of my cars back from new paint. So I will follow this thread with interest. The annoying thing is that this appears to be fine dust deposit (probably from the sanding process) rather than actual new paint that's dried and so logic tells me not to use solvents because that may just put the paint color onto the upholstery, But however hard I dry scrub or vacuum it just stays there.

·
Registered
192 Posts
You have a good point about the dust and solvents. I would take a small spot and try a citrus cleaner and water. Then maybe a graffiti remover like So Safe. Go slow and develop a system that does not damage the material. I see this happen in many shop that don't take the proper care when painting and prepping cars. I always recommend that the car have seats and carpets and as much of the interior removed. The shop charges $100.00 per hour If they are taping or sanding or painting.

IMG_5391.jpeg

1 - 11 of 11 Posts