Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just moved the 1973 1600cc Spider Junior out of the garage and a disintegrated lump of rubber was lying on the floor. It is 2" (5cm) square and 1" (2.5cm) deep. Looks solid with no obvious hole or means of mounting it. I have roughly reconstructed it to show what it looks like. It came from front right of the car under the bonnet but I cannot see any likely place it has fallen from nor what it does. I am a bit worried it is really important so don't want to drive the car until I can identify it.
Any help really appreciated. Photos attached (ignore the crude selotape holding it together!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
320 Posts
Looks like the front suspension Bump Stop. The upper control arm hits it to prevent the suspension from traveling too low. (p/n SU041 in the diagram)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Many thanks! Looks like that is the one. I will pop under the car and see if I can locate where it has fallen from.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks so much Velocewhippet. That's the bugger! Will order replacement plus one for the other side. Do you happen to know if they are easy to fit or is a suspension off job? Many thanks again for your help.

·
Premium Member
320 Posts
It should be possible to replace them without taking the suspension apart.

You can order these from Classic Alfa. That's where I found the diagram.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Put the chassis on axle stands, then use a floor jack to compress the suspension enough that you can place the new stop in its position. It is held by a rubber stem inserted in a hole. The insertion is rather tight. Grease up the stem and jam it in the best you can, then lift the body to fully extend the suspension. It will finish seating the bump stop in place.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Many thanks. Sounds like an interesting little job. Just off to order the parts now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts