Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys , i am still busy with reparing my gt junior after i had a crash last year , since i got it back from bodyshop , i been working on the steering wich is all good now , i have installed 4 new coil springs , but the car s stance is leaning on the left front wheel , and i realised the camber is negative so i took the hole triangle with spring and pan out and noticed the chassi there is a litle bit bent , so i heated it up and knocked it back but iit is still out the camber , so i decided to go for a ajustable camber top arm , do you guys think this is a safe method?

I dont know if the picture will help much

·
Registered
325 Posts
Mike,

I am not sure what you "heated up and knocked back" but I would want to make sure that there is integrity of the metal. In the picture it looks like there is a lot of undercoating on the inner fender. Is that correct? If so, I would want to get all that off and take a very good look at the metal and make sure there are no cracks. When you bent it back, did you take any measurements to see how accurate your new placing of the mounts were? Another area of concern. As far as adjustable uppers, after these cars have been on the road for a while, wear and tear takes its toll and adjustable uppers are pretty normal. As you are aware, you can markedly improve handling with a little negative camber dialed in.
Good Luck.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi , thank you for your response , regarding cracks in the metal the car is good , i did a full restoration and i put black rubber coating underneeth the hole car , took care of sll the rust , i fully restored the suspension with new rubbers and bushes new top arm camber , by knocking it back i mean i took messurment from the otherside and knocked it with a hammer until it went back in place , but the camber is still negative , so i am guessing the cross member is still a litle bit bent , i did use a chassi straightener it did help a bit but i guess i wont be able to get it back 100% so basicly i think my only solution will be to get an ajustable camber arm , my question is would it be safe to install an ajustable camber arm?

Regards

·
Registered
325 Posts
If you are convinced the chassis is sound, then an adjustable upper arm is fine. I would bet by now the majority of 105/115 cars have them. Both mine do.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ThAnk you very much , your information was very usefull :) i will go ahead and buy them , hopefully get my car runing again :)
Best rigards
Mike

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Never thought of that but i think it is wrong i can show you a picture of the accident and you will see that it is most probable that the camber is out

As you can see the front wheel did get quite a impact

·
Registered
28 Posts
hey mike. i know this is a bit off topic, but how did you get those springs in? Do you have the special tooling for this? If so where did you get it?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No problem its simple and easy just cut the threads the right size , you might need a jack as well to make sure the pan climbs level

·
Premium Member
15,881 Posts
Used to be in the past, you could buy a whole new suspension mount engine bay cross beam which provided the mounting holes for both the lower and upper (I think) suspension mounting points. Had to do this with my 64 Sprint GT when the two LHS lower inboard crappy spherical bushings froze up and tore the mounting lugs out. Sure was easy to replace, though, and provided the correct mounting locations from the get go.

I'm sure none of those cross beams are available anymore. Personally, if I still had a restored Sprint GT or GTV, and came across a wrecked or rusted out one, I would try to salvage one of those beams.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Reading this the chassis is bent. I am not fond of the way the repair has been done, I presume it is not measured before fixing the outside.
I would put the car on a jig to be sure how much the difference is.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts