Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What the?...

I installed new rear brake parts on my '74 GTV: e-brake shoes, rotors, calipers, pads, and lines. Now I hear a sound I can only trace to the pads dragging- both sides. Sounds a little like Santa's sleigh going down the street.:confused:Thought at first the e-brake shoes were out of adjustment. Fiddled with the cable and finally unpinned one side cable but still the sound as I turn a rotor. Assumed I assembled something wrong inside but, when I removed the caliper, the sound isn't there. Drove the car about 40 miles and bedded in the pads. I can lock up the rear wheels, but the sound's still there. My Haynes manual refers to a different type- inboard- than mine, so useless (now I know why it was in "like-new, unused" condition). I've dug pretty deep into the brake category here, but found nothing like my experience. What have I missed?

·
Premium Member
21,359 Posts
"Santa's sleigh" sounds like sounding jangling, which must be loose. I'd look at the hardware again, esp the e-brake, to make sure it's assembled properly.

Andrew

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for the reply. Always tough to describe sounds. Really more of a very light scraping/rubbing than the loose jangling more perfectly associated with St. Nick. "Shing, shing, shing"

Car on jack stands, wheels off, turning rotor by hand (so not all that much drag) I can hear it. Calipers off- no sound, so seems like it must be related to calipers, pads or upstream...

·
Premium Member
21,359 Posts
Not to defame you, but are the pads in friction side toward the rotor? Or loose pad attaching pins/springs?

Andrew

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not offended- I wish it were something simple like that. I checked it and ok. One question that occured to me: is there anything I needed to do before bolting on the new calipers i.e. remove some piston retainer installed for shipping, etc.? Got all my stuff from IAP. Thinking about what I just wrote I guess I answered my own question. The brakes work...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts