Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have ideas for opening the boot of a '69 GTV when the boot release cable breaks?

Thanks,
Wazza.

·
Premium Member
14,012 Posts
You drill a hole through the rear panel, behind the license plate and use a long screwdriver to push the release lever. I think that there have been pictures posted showing the exact location of the hole. You may find that there is one there already.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
A nylon back-up line, like the Alfettas and later models had, looks a smart preventative measure for the future, at this point... And for the bonnet release, too.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Ed,

A little bit drastic.

Managed to remove the panels behind the rear seat and use a broom handle with a hook on the end to release the latch.

I will run two cables to the release now, just in case.

Thanks,
Wazza.

·
Super Moderator
10,612 Posts
Usually the cable breaks at the lever/lock end, not at the latch end. If that is the case, remove the rear/side upholstery piece behind the latch, and either:

- See if you can yank the whole cable & sheath with a pair of pliers or vise-grips. I've done this on spiders, but never tried on a GT.

- Remove the lever/lock assembly to investigate where the cable broke. You may be able to grip the broken end with pliers or vise-grips and pull on that.

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
Can't you also remove a tail light or do you need to have a box wrench on the nut to get the long screws loose?

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Take a look at your tail light assemblies... the heads of the long screws are recessed into the housing on the outside. The nuts need to be loosened from the inside, provided the rear trunk liner is out of the way or non-existant, so this isn't really feasible

·
Registered
759 Posts
Here's my back-up trunk release cable: I bought a new cable and attached it as shown, routed it alongside the existing factory cable until it was to the rear bulkhead, then left the end under the rear seat cushion, with a grab/pull loop on the end.

Chuck

Attachments

·
Registered
505 Posts
Here's my back-up trunk release cable: I bought a new cable and attached it as shown, routed it alongside the existing factory cable until it was to the rear bulkhead, then left the end under the rear seat cushion, with a grab/pull loop on the end.

Chuck
Clever trick, very clever.

·
Super Moderator
10,612 Posts
Here's my back-up trunk release cable: I bought a new cable and attached it as shown...
Chuck:

Not to give you a hard time, but you still have a single point of failure: that circular clamp with the setscrew appears to secure both loops at the latch. If that setscrew backs out, both your primary and back-up cables are going to come loose.

You could secure the loop for the primary cable with the original, circular clamp, and just thread the back-up cable through the hole in the lever, and secure it with a fitting like the one in the photo below.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Re. removing the upholstery behind the door to get at the cable, I just did this in a GT Jr. and it worked fine. I was easily able to pull out the cable, which had broken by the latch, and pull it with vice grips to open the trunk. Now, how the heck do you get the cable latch out of the door jamb? I can't for the life of me figure out how it is installed, but it isn't budging when I try to remove it. Are there clips or a bracket that I have to remove?

·
Registered
533 Posts
How do you remove the trunk release latch???

This is what I did when I fitted a second boot release lever in the other door jamb. These levers are held in by a U type bracket with a single nut. You can also see my original backup cable the SS one that goes through the grommet on the boot floor.

Tim
Any hint on how to remove it? I can't see any screws on the exposed surface... is there any, or do you just force pull it whole out of the enclosure, bracket and all...:frown2:

·
--ADMINISTRATOR--chiuso per ferie
11,999 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts