Alfa Romeo Forums banner
41 - 60 of 71 Posts

·
Premium Member
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Here is what I used. This is the double contact socket. I cant find the packaging for the single contact as yet. These are just push and twist. I did fit a rubber 'O' ring behind the lugs prior to fitting as there is a bit slack otherwise.
That is amazing! It is the same pattern for prongs. And GM used this all the way into the '80s! This needs to be added to a parts exchange list. Thanks. Don is fixing me up with 3 originals, but I will use this for my 4th and get a few spares in case I break any in the future.

·
Push hard and live
11,680 Posts
It’s ok with me if you want to shift entirely to the GM style. Probably save you some bucks, and allow me to replace iffy units in my car with my much better OE pieces.

·
Registered
244 Posts
That is amazing! It is the same pattern for prongs. And GM used this all the way into the '80s! This needs to be added to a parts exchange list. Thanks. Don is fixing me up with 3 originals, but I will use this for my 4th and get a few spares in case I break any in the future.
Yep same pattern, just push and twist. You have no idea how many holders I bought trying to find something to fit :ROFLMAO:. But like I say, use the 'O' ring for a tighter fit.

·
Premium Member
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
I need to go pick one of these up. In your picture the prongs are correct for a 2-filament bulb holder, but when I look that part up on Dorman's site and others, it's it the prong layout for 1-filament bulb holders. I'm inclined to believe your photo since you have it right there! And I can't find an equivalent unit for 1-filament. Riggs, you found a 1-filament version?

·
Registered
244 Posts
I need to go pick one of these up. In your picture the prongs are correct for a 2-filament bulb holder, but when I look that part up on Dorman's site and others, it's it the prong layout for 1-filament bulb holders. I'm inclined to believe your photo since you have it right there! And I can't find an equivalent unit for 1-filament. Riggs, you found a 1-filament version?
I'll have a look at my car tomorrow and see what I fitted. I bought so many I really cant remember. The dorman holders are not available here in the UK, i had to order them from the US. I may have fitted twin filament in all, which may be why I cant find the other box.
I'll also look through my file and see if I can find the receipt.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Good morning. Ok I've had a look and it's all starting to come back to me. The single contact I used looks the same as DP3 pictured earlier. As mentioned you'll need to snap off a couple of the fingers, but they are a good tight fit.
Wood Door Automotive exterior Automotive tire Auto part
Liquid Fluid Automotive lighting Rectangle Material property
Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Gas Automotive tire Font

·
Premium Member
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Good morning. Ok I've had a look and it's all starting to come back to me. The single contact I used looks the same as DP3 pictured earlier. As mentioned you'll need to snap off a couple of the fingers, but they are a good tight fit.
Thank you Riggs, I found that part locally and will check it out.
For the 85830 2-terminal I bought a 1.25" OD x 1.0" ID x 1/8" thickness O-ring and as you suggested, that does the trick. Hopefully all your research will help others too!

·
Premium Member
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Is there a Trunk/Boot Light on a 102 Spider?

So, my new wiring harness has a wire for a trunk or boot light. The wiring diagrams show it as well. I have no idea what that would look like or where it and the switch should mount.

·
Registered
9,901 Posts
Is there a Trunk/Boot Light on a 102 Spider?

So, my new wiring harness has a wire for a trunk or boot light. The wiring diagrams show it as well. I have no idea what that would look like or where it and the switch should mount.
For 102 cars, the answer is maybe, depending on early/late and/or USA/Europe versions. The answers have been inconclusive (see this thread).
It appears all 2600 Spiders had the trunk lights, as per this thread.

·
Registered
9,901 Posts
If you see a bracket and/or a hole for a switch on (or near) the driver-side trunk hinge support bracket, your car probably did have a trunk light. Else, it probably didn't (but one could be added later, if so desired -- especially if there's a wire for it in the wiring harness).

·
Push hard and live
11,680 Posts
My new harnesses came with that wire, but my 59 had no bracket, and I don’t think the 60 did, either. Easy to add if you haven’t already painted everything and can do a little welding.

·
Premium Member
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
No bracket on 00276, but the original wiring harness did have the red wire running to the trunk but terminating into one end of a coupling connector. If I had to guess (and no one is making me) I agree with Don and others from the other thread that they wired for it as an option or it was supposed be there when they designed the harness but Touring was slow to get the memo.

Either way, I now don't have to worry about finding the pieces for it, so all good from where I sit!

·
Push hard and live
11,680 Posts
If one needs luggage removed from the boot in the evening, just hand the keys to the valet. He’ll have a torch. Your attentions are best applied to your companion.

·
Push hard and live
11,680 Posts
Andy,

I need to get down to airport this weekend to check the condition of my taillight sockets before moving ahead. Plz be patient.

·
Premium Member
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Hey riggs, using your part numbers and a little extra research, I found some equivalents at my local NAPA, including a two filament socket that doesn't need a separate ground. I found I don't need to remove any of the prongs, I just bend them in slightly and I get a great fit. And of course this way the original boots fit right on these. Thanks for all the leads and inspiration!

·
Premium Member
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Oh, and I can't resist showing how nicely my originals cleaned up with a little bead blasting.

·
Registered
9,901 Posts
I found some equivalents at my local NAPA, including a two filament socket that doesn't need a separate ground.
I found grounding of the base of the rear lights to be a unreliable: Basically, the base sits on a rubber grommet, 4 studs go through the fenders, and then, is held in place by spring washers and nuts on the inside of the fender. It is the spring washers that make the ground contact -- which may or my not happen all the time, depending on thickness of the paint on the inside of the fender and how deep the teeth of the spring washer cuts into this paint (and reaches metal or not). So, I found it to be a better solution to run a separate grounding wire from the body to the base of the taillights (I don't recall whether I used an existing stud or used a different attachment point).

·
Premium Member
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Not sure about yours, but my tail lights have a socket for a bullet connector for a ground wire about halfway up the back. And that ground wire is also shown on the wiring diagram.

41 - 60 of 71 Posts