Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So you are asking yourself, does Andy have 2000 questions or is he reassembling a 2000? It's the later. Well, hopefully there won't be 2000 questions, but it sounded more fun phrased that way.

Hi All,

We bought our 102 Spider about 70% dismantled and missing many many parts. The car came with many boxes of parts including 3 engine blocks, 2 heads, multiple carbs and airboxes, hundreds of bolts and screws that we have no idea where they go, etc. etc. After several years of work, and gathering the parts that we knew we needed, the body is done, the engine and trans are done and my wife and I are starting to reassemble the car.

The problem is that when the car was originally dismantled all the parts were randomly thrown in boxes. So for all the parts that we didn't take apart, we have no idea where they go. Okay, that's not entirely true. I have been studying the parts book and have figured out many of them. BUT there are some that elude me. And some assemblies I can't quite figure how they go together.

I'm going to need some help. Please let me thank you in advance for any advice, tips, or info you can provide. The Alfa BB community has been essential in us getting this far. We want to have this all complete and running for the Alfa convention in Colorado this fall.

First question (see next post) is probably a super easy one for some of you...

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
One of these things is not like the other:

I finally figured out that the trapezoids hold in the turn signal lamp and lens. I am three short but I am pretty sure I can make some using spring wire, although any tips on working with spring wire would be great since I haven't before. But that looks simple enough.

BUT - what is the square wire used for? And will I need more than one?

·
Push hard and live
11,027 Posts
I have a large supply of the spring wire to make the clips. Precision isn’t critical, just use two pliers and get close. If you get it wrong, make more. PM your address and I’ll drop a handful in an envelope.

·
Push hard and live
11,027 Posts
The square piece is nagging at me. Looks familiar, but..... I’ll stew on it and get back to you.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Don, for the kind offer and the tips. But I went over to Hobby Lobby yesterday and picked up some spring wire (aka music wire) for $2. Took your advice on using pliers and here is my first effort. Mine is the one in the center. It looks a bit short in the picture, but that is the camera lens distortion.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Electrical questions:

1. What gauge wire for the battery cables?
The cable that came out of it measures 8mm (without jacket) which would place it between a 0 gauge and a 1 gauge. I would have thought 2 gauge would be more than good. Especially since we have a modern high torque starter on it.

2. Voltage Regulator? I want to use the original round style Magneti Marelli voltage regulator. I don't see them available, am I wrong? I've no idea if mine works, there is a concerning about of rust on the bottom and it has clearly been opened before. But I could certainly blast it and repaint it. How do you test it? Is there someone who rebuilds the internals? Or are they available somewhere?

Thanks!

·
Push hard and live
11,027 Posts
Have you provided your serial number, scocca number, Touring number, and engine number to Ilcarjohn for his research?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Turn Signal assembly - missing something.

Hi, I am trying to assemble the turn signal/fog lamp unit but I am missing something. There is the main chrome piece, then gasket, then lens, then metal piece that holds turn signal bulb and holds the glass in place, then spring clips hold that in position when they are wedged up against the inner locking ring.

My problem is I have nothing to hold the inner locking ring in place so I can wedge the clips between it and the bulb holding plate. The diagram shows "Bush to secure Inner Ring" and a washer for that bush.

I don't have this "Bush" that holds the inner ring and have no idea what it looks like or how to make one. Any help would be appreciated!

I also will need to make the gasket for the turn signal glass. It looks like it is fairly thick. Any thoughts on what I should cut this out of?

Here is a pic of the pieces:

·
Push hard and live
11,027 Posts
It’s not a “bush”. It’s a screw with a hole up the middle. It secures the retaining ring to the trim surround, and lets the long screws come through from the front to hold the assembly into the bucket.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ouch. Sounds very specialized. Hopefully a few came with the car, but I guess a machine shop could make one in a pinch. I will look through my boxes and boxes of bits. So I am looking for a screw with a hole in it. That actually should be easy to spot. Thanks for the help!

·
Push hard and live
11,027 Posts
The diameter of the special screw is big enough to fit the hole in the trim ring, so they’re not small, fiddly things. I think it’s good news that you currently have none. If you had one, then you’ve lost three. Having none means all four are laying in a box or bag somewhere in your pile of stuff.

I’m calling them a “screw” because there is a slot in the head to use a screwdriver. They look something like the hold-in “screw” that secures the emulsion tube stack in a Weber DCOE.

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
Andy,
I have a couple of might-be-complete fog light assemblies. You can help yourself to what you need.
PM or email me your shipping address.
Richard

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It’s not a “bush”. It’s a screw with a hole up the middle. It secures the retaining ring to the trim surround, and lets the long screws come through from the front to hold the assembly into the bucket.
Thanks Don, once I knew what to look for I found them in the 2nd box I looked in! Found all four, but I'm going to have to hit the hardware store for the very tiny washers as I only found one. Including picture for anyone else who might want to know what these look like:

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Andy,
I have a couple of might-be-complete fog light assemblies. You can help yourself to what you need.
PM or email me your shipping address.
Richard
Thanks Richard, that is a very kind offer! I appreciate it. Thankfully I found them.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Where do these parts go?

Here are a couple of parts I don't know about. We chromed some of them so I assume I need them.

The first is tiny screws with no threads. Four of them in two different lengths.

The third picture is two long screws. You can see them next to the ones for the fog/turn light assemblies.

The fourth one is... no idea.

·
Push hard and live
11,027 Posts
The washers aren’t all that critical. Lock washers, I think. I have found reduced-OD metric lock washers at McMaster-Carr

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Grommet substitution thoughts?

This grommet isn't available anywhere I've looked. This one is pretty bad and the other one is gone. Any thoughts on substitutions? I could put a standard firewall style grommet and then silicone the wires into it.

·
Push hard and live
11,027 Posts
The chromed tubes with closed end MIGHT be spacers for the outer-forward ends of the rear bumper. However, mine are not as long. However, I had to add some spacers.

Long screws might be the adjustable striker screws for the door latches.

The slotted barrels remind me of the hinges on the convertible top flop-over toggle latches.

·
Registered
9,735 Posts
The chromed tubes with closed end MIGHT be spacers for the outer-forward ends of the rear bumper. However, mine are not as long. However, I had to add some spacers.
I second the notion of the tubes being for the lateral attachment of the rear bumper (with the small hole against the fender). I'm using rubber washers between the tube and the paint. Andy: The rear bumper and these tubes need to go in before that gas tank is installed, else you you cannot get the bolt in from the inside.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts