Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I could use some help as to how the heater valve is positioned and mounted to the Firwall on a 1965 Giulia Spider 1600 Veloce; a picture or two would be a real help too. Sorry for the dumb question here. Thank you.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Giulia heater valve

It's actually bolted to a bracket which is welded at the intersection of the right inner fender and the firewall.
There are some great pics in Patrick Hung's thread: HERE

·
Super Moderator
11,876 Posts
Here are some pictures of the valve, and the bracket that holds it in place from my '65 Spider Veloce.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,275 Posts
Those brackets on Gordon's car are different from my '63's, which are welded not to the firewall, but the chassis member just beneath that. I'm finding that '63s are different from later Spiders in few aspects: heater valve bracket for one, and the lack of an interior shine-down light near the glovebox.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Regarding the bracket to which the heater valve attaches ... it is the same steel bracket on both Normal and Veloce models. The difference between the models lies in where the bracket is welded to the chassis. These locations are model specific and have nothing to do with what year the car was manufactured.
The reason for the different locations is due to the different positions of the hose connections on the Normal and Veloce intake manifolds.

Once again - it can all be blamed on the Plumber !!!

For future reference: Gordon's car is the exception - not a standard Giulia Veloce.
Pictured below is a replacement valve (for 105 Series - with the cast-in bracket ground off and other than original counter-sunk screws used for assembly) on a typical Giulia Veloce chassis. Please ignore the band-aid fix of the attached hose and the 105 intake manifold.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
11,876 Posts
It can be made to fit with some available hoses. GTD is likely correct about my car, built by Alfa as a late one-off racer, it does have some differences from the earlier Giulia Veloces. The bracket photo I sent was the way it came from Alfa. The area in question back there, is a plumbers nightmare. The original hose that makes the 180 degree turn had, from Alfa, a copper tubing insert, to make it hold that 180 degree bend. At some point, it blew out at the end of the tubing, I saved the remains, but fabricated another 180 degree passage of exposed tube, with rubber ends. Not as neat, but it doesn't blow out!

·
Registered
634 Posts
Hey guys,

I dont want to steal this thread... but, I bought a manual valve in Italy. I was at Skip McCabe's shop in Chicago and noticed that two of the cars their had a bracket for the manual water valve. There's a red 1960 veloce that Gordon is familiar with that is missing the bracket for the manual type..or at least did not have bracket that the other two cars have.

should my 1960 spider have a manual valve or the the type of this discussion? I'm not in front of my car right now, but I'm pretty sure I don't have either bracket.

When did Alfa change heater valve types?

·
Super Moderator
11,876 Posts
That first car, is an early transitional spider with many 750 series hold-over features. The other two are later versions, more like yours. Your '60 should have the manual valve, but I do not know when that manual valve bracket appeared. Best bet would be to see if your CHASSIS number is somewhere within the range of those three cars. That is why they are lined up like that. The earliest car, the red one, is different than the other two. Skip has to figure out the progression of updates.

Attachments

·
Registered
634 Posts
Thanks Gordon,

the red car is AR 1495 10064

Wht car is AR 370009

blk. car don't have a good photo but looks like AR 1495 11597

my car AR 1495 09775

once again, not trying to take over this thread.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
11,876 Posts
If Tommy's # 10064, the red car, a transition car, had no bracket (like 750's), and yours is #09775, that would make it still an earlier transitional car. Make it like the red 10064. That should be close enough for most "experts".

·
Registered
312 Posts
1600 Veloce heater valve

Driveline,

A note of interest. As you can see from a pic Gordon sent the hose has a very tight bend as it comes through the firewall to the heater valve. In one if the pic's it's been replaced with a solid tube. The original 1600 Veloce hoses had a solid steel tube insert in the hose. Also as mentioned, now adays it's easy to get shaped hose so the steel isn't necessary but if you want to beat that other Veloce at the concourse.... I don't think I say you SSN?

Good luck, Dan - 390 302

·
Super Moderator
11,876 Posts
Yup Dan's right. See my post #9. As the only AUSCA Giulia spider, I don't worry about concourse. It does fine as the only non-restored example.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
973 Posts
That first car, is an early transitional spider with many 750 series hold-over features. The other two are later versions, more like yours. Your '60 should have the manual valve, but I do not know when that manual valve bracket appeared. Best bet would be to see if your CHASSIS number is somewhere within the range of those three cars. That is why they are lined up like that. The earliest car, the red one, is different than the other two. Skip has to figure out the progression of updates.
Gordon,

The locations for the relay's and voltage regulator should be as depicted on this photo. There are only three different positions for these devices and the other two being the '56 Giulietta with the regulator and relays near the radiator support, and the Giulia series with the voltage regulator on the back firewall. Otherwise the new harness will not reach the voltage regulator.

Just food for thoughts

Attachments

·
Registered
710 Posts
The water valve bracket shown on the white car was used on Veloce Spiders. On a Normale Spider this location of the heater bracket will hit the air filter.
I personally have not seen a bracket for the water valve on Normale Spiders. DaveB

·
Registered
710 Posts
Should have noted, the water valve bracket was used on 750 -101 Spider veloces with the manual valve. Of course this would be prior to the addition of the cable operated heater valve which I understood to be added in the 1600 Giulia Spider. DaveB

1 - 20 of 41 Posts