Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The heater core in a friends 1984 Maratona w/ gtv6 swap has lost it's heater core. They tried to order one from italy and after paying WAAAY too much money for one it arrived only not to fit.

Can anyone on this board advise where to find a correct fitment? Sadly the original has disappeared so I don't have serial's for you. I can get the vin if necessary.

Thanks in advance!:punk:

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
As Erik mentioned, there is likely a difference between early and late GTV6 cores (Tropic-Aire vs older design, maybe?). I wasn't aware of that before.

I have one or 2 of each to spare (used), if you are interested. When I removed these from my bone cars, I didn't realize the heater cores may have changed over the model years... so I didn't bother to mark them. Maratonas were 1984, so you probably need the earlier design.

If there is a way to tell the difference between these, I can check mine and send pix to show. If used vs new is a concern, I may be able to have my local A/C shop do a pressure test to find the best one.

If you are pretty sure you received a new, later GTV6 version from Italy, you can always offer that one for sale to help recover your expenses. Maybe put detailed pix of that one here to show what you have. That way you can sell your 'wrong' design... and other ALFA owners can use the pix to compare to see if they have a different design for GTV6s.

As I understand it, the Tropic-Aire units upgraded the A/C portion to help satisfy complaints in the US on mediocre cooling. There is only 'X' amount of space inside the center console. So perhaps, the later models had to reduce the size of the heater core, to make room for a larger A/C core? Anyone else know more about that question?

Cheers,
Peter
[email protected]

·
Registered
936 Posts
the heater core is just a little radiator. you could take the old one into a radiator shop and have it refurbished. done it before on a non-alfa.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I conferred with my friend, the owner of the car. Apparently it is not the heater core but the heater control valve is broken. Apparently it is to the point that one can either have the heat all the way on or all the way off.

Sorry for the mis-information. Can anyone advise on this then?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts