Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have been trying to find the correct tool to push and turn the piston boot within my rear brakes. I called International Auto Parts, they said they have never carried this tool. I have tried several other local parts stores, same result. Does anyone know the name and maybe have a pic or just the website or name of the company that carries this tool?

I tried to attach a photo, but the upload kept failing, if you respond & need it, please let me know...I can send it some other way to you to show the challenge I am having. I was told by 2 mechanics the caliper does not need to be removed from the rotor, I just need the proper tool.

thanks,
Paul

·
Premium Member
27,275 Posts
Since rear brakes have brake shoes inside rotor for parking brakes, caliper piston should just push in like front calipers on your spider.
I believe rubber boot has a wire locking ring to hold it into caliper.

So if you are just changing pads without removing caliper, remove pad retaining pins, springs and pads, insert a flat pry bar between piston and rotor and retract piston(s).

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Help! 1971 Alfa Romeo Spider Rear Brake Tool

Hi Alfisto Steve,

Thank you for the fast reply on this. I am taking your advice and am about to try prying it as indicated, however, when I checked other forums, people said I have to push the piston in AND twist is at the same time. Are you sure I don't need to twist also with a special tool....just double-checking before I force it with a pry bar only. Also, should I have the emergency brake on or off during this?

Thanks again,

Paul

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
when I checked other forums, people said I have to push the piston in AND twist is at the same time.
Mabe on an Oldsmobile, (at least that's the last car I remember having to do that on), but defintely not on a 71 Alfa spider.

Twisting/turning the pistons in the bore to get them to retract will just screw up the orientation of the pistons and pads creating other issues, like possibly damaging the seals, but if nothing else will result in the need to turn the pistons more yet to realign them properly as they need to have a specific orientation to the pads.
Clickme to learn more

Having the parking brake set during the process shouldn't matter onnaconna as Steve said, that brake is done via totally seperate shoes located in the center of the rotor, not at the calipers and pads themselves.
(the center of the rotor over/around the studs that looks like it could be an old style drum brake housing? It is an old style drum brake housing)

·
Premium Member
16,232 Posts
Standard rule (mostly);

Calipers with parking brake cables attached require the piston be turned while pushing it back into the caliper; calipers without cables do not, just push in the piston.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow! You were all correct...another forum had led me to believe I had to twist...this forum knows more! I'm all done! Thanks! You all are truly lifesavers....I have been trying to tract down a special tool that didn't exist....used a hubcap crowbar and that did the trick...its a new car to me..so I'm learning as I go! Thanks a million! Paul

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do any of you have advice on how to track down a glovebox lock for this model: 1971 Alfa Romeo Spider - I have been looking on various parts web sites for months and ebay with no luck. Paul Also, the decal for the steering wheel...I even ordered one, but it was too big. Any listing of parts web sites would be helpful, as I am trying to restore this car....

2) original floor mats,
3) a dashboard (mine is cracked),
4) side molding - really want to find this,
5) new top possibly depending on price,
6) cigarette lighter is missing on vehicle, (I don't smoke, but want to have it),
7) a new fuel gauge (if needed, mine doesn't work...maybe its just a wiring issue?),
8) a my speedometer reads 7mph too high, I drove by a speed measure device they put on sides of roads sporadically.

·
Registered
what part?
9,971 Posts
lincoln999... i have a glovebox, lock took off my car..sitting in the work place, want it? on the fuel gadge, just go to the tank grond it out, see if the guadge moves, these really do not go bad..as for speedo,, tyre size?, dash crack..my Italian freind can cover it in leather or german vaiel.. did mine with red( red is faster :):) ) stitching, look really cool,, sort of ferrarei-isk..

·
Premium Member
27,275 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi bianchi1,

I definitely want the glovebox lock, are you sure it fits my make/model? If so, what is your price? Thx. Paul

·
Registered
1969 Alfa Spider 1750 veloce.
1,040 Posts
lincol999(strange username on an AR forum!!).. unwritten rule, you MUST post pics of your "new" alfa. Unless I missed them;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts