Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

Looking for a bit of help / advice. I have a 1750 engine in a Marlin kit car that I bought 18 months ago.
When I got the car the engine was had pretty even compressions of 175 - 180 Psi.
I laid it up for about 8 months while I rewired the car, work pemitting. However when I tried to bring the engine back to life it was really difficult to start and I discovered that cylinders 1 + 2 were now down to around 60 - 70 Psi, 3+4 were unaffected.
I removed the head and had it skimmed very slightly and the valves and seats were checked and reground then vacuum tested.
The head was then replaced and wayhay no difference.
I did manage to run the engine briefly but as you can imagine it wasn't a pretty sight.
I have since removed the engine and when I drained the oil first out was nice clean water followed by the oil. Same in the oil filter housing and even in the head in the pools of oil that collects below the cams.
I am thinking I have a sealing problem between the head and block. Could this be that the liners in 1+2 have been squashed over the years or something more sinister like cracked / warped block.
I am confused as to why the cylinders should lose compression/gasket fail when the engine was not doing any work.
I laid the engine up the same as I have done with my boat engines for the last 25 years with no problems.

Thanks

Derek

·
Premium Member
71 Berlina 74 GTV 17 Giulia Q4
6,471 Posts
Shouldn't have been a problem. Was there water before you pulled the head? It could be a sealing problem. I would start with a leak down test and go from there. Where do you live and was there anti freeze in it? Is it possible while up the water froze?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I saw no sign of water in the oil before I removed the head, there was certainly none in the oil lying in the head. Unfotunately I did not drain the sump when I removed the head the first time so I do not know if the water was in there.

I am in Scotland but the engine did have anti freeze in it and the car was in a integral garage.

Think I may have an engine guy look at it while I get on with the many other jobs on the car.

Love Texas, first time visitor in 09/2014

·
Premium Member
71 Berlina 74 GTV 17 Giulia Q4
6,471 Posts
Two heads and eyes on are always good. Hopefully it's something simple. Glad you enjoyed our hospitality!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts