Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks.
I'm new and desperated!
My Alfa 164 Q4 1995 right rear brake caliper is busted.
What to do now?
I tried to fix it but no use. Hand brake finger is busted and leaks oil from there. I can't find any repair kits for this also.
Is there some kind of a alternative caliper to fit there? Or what are my options.
There's plenty of 164 calipers to take but nothing for Q4 so...

One thing that I can think of is to fit there some kind of other brake discs and calipers...

Help!

·
Registered
433 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,812 Posts
Hi folks.
I'm new and desperated!
My Alfa 164 Q4 1995 right rear brake caliper is busted.
What to do now?
I tried to fix it but no use. Hand brake finger is busted and leaks oil from there. I can't find any repair kits for this also.
Is there some kind of a alternative caliper to fit there? Or what are my options.
There's plenty of 164 calipers to take but nothing for Q4 so...

One thing that I can think of is to fit there some kind of other brake discs and calipers...

Help!
I can help if needed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Not sure if egos will be any good. I' in the same position, and got my money back from them when they realised that the Q4 brakes are not the same as the QV. I having mine reconditioned instead, tho' apparently they are having trouble sourcing the pistons. Incidentally, egos were promised help by AR Germany, but nothing came of it. And I think the egos ad is unchanged from december, when I tried them. Good Luck

·
Premium Member
9,812 Posts
Not sure if egos will be any good. I' in the same position, and got my money back from them when they realised that the Q4 brakes are not the same as the QV. I having mine reconditioned instead, tho' apparently they are having trouble sourcing the pistons. Incidentally, egos were promised help by AR Germany, but nothing came of it. And I think the egos ad is unchanged from december, when I tried them. Good Luck
Yes, those are not the correct brake calipers. Q4 are much longer and Emergency brake mechanism is different.

Proper brake caliper pictured below: (But you can make the Standard brake caliper work)
The Q4 is a 43mm piston while the Standard is a 38mm piston.

Attachments

·
Registered
433 Posts
From the photos I have, Jason is correct, pictures are not corresponding to the text in the adds I linked to.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alfissimo Int. how can you help me then?

Allan I wrote to them and they told that this is the wrong one. U'r right!

Only solution that I see here is to refurbish it by my self but I don't know where to start. I need new piston, seals, hand brake system (this is the biggest problem!).
Is there some kind on alternative parts for this caliper? Fiat?

·
Premium Member
9,812 Posts
Alfissimo Int. how can you help me then?

Allan I wrote to them and they told that this is the wrong one. U'r right!

Only solution that I see here is to refurbish it by my self but I don't know where to start. I need new piston, seals, hand brake system (this is the biggest problem!).
Is there some kind on alternative parts for this caliper? Fiat?
I can help you in many ways. I can most likely supply a kit or you can send them to me for the full job. Not a problem. They will be in new condition when they are sent back. New pistons, seals, boots, hone, cleaning, new mechanism, rust prevention painted. I can work a deal if needed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you can supply me a kit that would be nice. Today I took caliper off and the main leek is in the handbrake system so I will need that one first thing! Also all the seals would come handy :)

·
Premium Member
27,301 Posts
If you can supply me a kit that would be nice. Today I took caliper off and the main leek is in the handbrake system so I will need that one first thing! Also all the seals would come handy :)
Unless you have some special tools to rebuild this particular Q4 caliper I suggest you get a rebuilt caliper from Jason.

When a 164 rear caliper is leaking through hand brake area it has to be completely disassembled and to reassemble area between hydraulic area and parking brake area is not something you want to try at home.

I have made special tools to do a regular 164 rear caliper but it is no fun to try and install rubber oring, spring, adjuster, collar and snap ring.
http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/164-168-1991-1995/41334-rear-brake-caliper-exploded-view.html

See parts in a regular 164 (not Q4) rear caliper: http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/179140-post2.html

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Unless you have some special tools to rebuild this particular Q4 caliper I suggest you get a rebuilt caliper from Jason.

When a 164 rear caliper is leaking through hand brake area it has to be completely disassembled and to reassemble area between hydraulic area and parking brake area is not something you want to try at home.

I have made special tools to do a regular 164 rear caliper but it is no fun to try and install rubber oring, spring, adjuster, collar and snap ring.
http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/164-168-1991-1995/41334-rear-brake-caliper-exploded-view.html

See parts in a regular 164 (not Q4) rear caliper: http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/179140-post2.html

yes, i know that this ain't easy job and i know that i have to make special tools for that but my location is Europ, ESTONIA and sending my caliper to states and back would cost quite a lot...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

I know that it's not easy and I don't have special tools at the moment but if needed I would make oor get them.
I locate on ESTONIA so sending the caliper to states and back would be tricky for me.
Over the weekend I would try to take it apart and then I'll see can I do it or not.

Is this Q4 HB system unique? Or can I fit some kind of other HB system there?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

I know that it's not easy and I don't have special tools at the moment but if needed I would make oor get them.
I locate on ESTONIA so sending the caliper to states and back would be tricky for me.
Over the weekend I would try to take it apart and then I'll see can I do it or not.

Is this Q4 HB system unique? Or can I fit some kind of other HB system there?

Siim

·
Registered
5 Posts
In Holland there are several people having Q4 parts, also Ebay germany offers used Q4 parts. I have to look, it can be I have allready a set for spare.
Be back in the air in some days

Kind regards
Fllies like a butterfly, bumbles like a be, barks like a dog

1 - 14 of 14 Posts