Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Hello from Northern California

2K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  lgbalfa 
#1 ·
Hi,
I just acquired a 1980 Spider Veloce. It is very rough but the body is strait. One glaring problem is the front bumper is the wrong one so will need to get that replaced eventually. Right now it is registered non-op but I was able to get it started. It was running rough so will need to determine the cause. I ordered a shop manual which will help me to get it looking and running the way it should. Recently I sold my Miata and was missing the roadster. Glad to have another. Living in Ca., I have plenty of days to drive with the top down. I live in the coastal range so am only an hour and thirty minutes from the ocean. I'm surrounded by beautiful windy roads and vineyards. Looking forward to getting it on the road soon.

See less See more
#3 ·
Hi,
I just acquired a 1980 Spider Veloce. It is very rough but the body is strait. One glaring problem is the front bumper is the wrong one so will need to get that replaced eventually
View attachment 1604025
Welcome to the BB!
I think you'll find the bumper is correct for a USA '80 model.
It's not pretty, and some have converted to european look bumpers
here is a 1980 in same colour as yours:

Oh and yes, do come over to the spider section, you'll get lots of help there!

here is one thread on a conversion to the euro bumper look
https://www.alfabb.com/threads/stainless-bumper-conversion.165394/

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Regularity rally Coupé

#4 ·
Thanks for that. I saw the sides where the bumper didn't quite wrap around and also looked like the emblem in the front was cut off with just a little bit of chrome. I had seen the other bumper style so got the impression that it had been modified.

I'm not too thrilled with the brown color. What would it do to the value of the vehicle if I changed the color?

#5 ·
I don't think a change of color will play any part in value, on an '80 spider (some people do like the brown, and when the brown is nice and shiny it looks quite well especially with a tan top like that, imo!)...and anyway, it is your car.

The only thing against a change of color is the engine bay will always be brown....unless you paint that too, and then things get expensive.
Has your car got the spica monofarfalla (single butterfly) set up, like in this photo?...that was an '80/'81 USA thing that is not very liked.

Attachments

#9 ·
Welcome.
I did A LOT of reading in the spider forum. I also got some fair information from Centerline and Vick when i called or emailed them.

My advice- fix what is needed, then go enjoy the car. A cracked dash or wrong/poor paint job mean less when you are moving.

Where in NorCal are you? Some pretty active sub-groups all around. I happened on an Italian car/bike show just down the street from my house in Folsom.
-Steve

#10 ·
I'm u

I'm up in Lake County, north of Napa. Thanks for the advice. Much of the cosmetic stuff will not be addressed until I can enjoy the car awhile. First is to get it smogged. It's running a bit rough and is missing much of the smog equipment. I bought a "canister" but am having a hard time figuring out where it goes. I know how to hook it up, but it "hangs" somewhere and it's location isn't obvious. Also, looks like the PO has removed the catalytic converter. I'm sure it is for performance sake but the only way around the smog that I've found is to insure it as a classic car. That may be a good option. Geico wants a garage. I have a carport. Not sure if that counts.

#11 ·
Nice roads up there. We rally through that area at least once a year.
Do the research on the cat before you spend money. I had a fairly new exhaust on my 83 BMW. On the last smog, I got told it was the "wrong" cat, even though it passed the gas test. California now has the smog techs check the number etched on the converter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.