Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone.
More out of curiosity than anything else ... this nice steering wheel mounted on a (rather known) TZ2, can anyone confirm that it is an original 7-bolt Hellebore? Can you know / distinguish the abbreviation just below the horn button?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
12,307 Posts
Early TZII were 6 screw, changed to 7 screw. Most (all?) 6 screw were special Nardi Wheels, as were some 7 screw replacements. This 6 screw was removed from a TZII and replaced with a 7 screw. I made a TZII type hub to mount it on my '65 Ausca spider. Note it is NARDI.
7 screw NARDI

7 screw NARDI on TZII

Removed TZII 6 screw Nardi with custom hub for Ausca spider.

As race cars, the TZII's may have had most any wheel fitted post build.
Those I worked on as built showed 6, then 7 screw Nardi.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Gordon for your input.
So isn't the steering wheel in my photo a Hellebore? Could it be a Fusina from the 70s with the drilling adapted to the 7-bolt hub? I see that the races have 3 holes and not 4 like the Nardis or the Hellebores "Alfa" ...

·
Registered
4,550 Posts
Thanks Gordon for your input.
So isn't the steering wheel in my photo a Hellebore? Could it be a Fusina from the 70s with the drilling adapted to the 7-bolt hub? I see that the races have 3 holes and not 4 like the Nardis or the Hellebores "Alfa" ...
The 3 hole versions more likely indicate a smaller wheel diameter.

K

·
Super Moderator
12,307 Posts
Unfortunately my own research in only related to the original wheels on the two TZII's I worked on years ago. As mentioned, almost any wheel could be installed by a driver over time. You might do well to get some close up detail photos of the wheel in question and look for a match with Hellebore wheels cataloged.

Reactions: Sergio105

·
Registered
345 Posts
Hi everyone.
More out of curiosity than anything else ... this nice steering wheel mounted on a (rather known) TZ2, can anyone confirm that it is an original 7-bolt Hellebore? Can you know / distinguish the abbreviation just below the horn button?
Your wheel looks like a 38.5 Momo “Indy” with 7 holes.This is high quality leather steering wheel used optionally by private drivers on their TZ II. The TZ IIs came from the factory (as Gordon observed well) with Nardi 38.5 and on few examples (there were only 9 examples built) also Hellebore (always 38.5). All the brands listed have their own mark engraved on the steering wheel (often also production code) and therefore it should not be difficult to read and recognize the steering wheel brand. A mark on the central race is visible in the photo you have posted and it should be possible to trace the mark from that. Here is the photo of the TZ II taken in the late1964. The steering wheel is always a Nardi with 4 holes.
TZ II.JPG

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for your contribution!
I continue with the investigation ...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts