Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there anyone who can tell the make of my Berlina's steering wheel?
I have seen the Hellebore one, which has�@a�@engraved "Hellebore"sign on its spoke.

Can I think that my steering wheel is made by Personal because it has no signs on it?

Or are there clear differences between them?
Basically, are the makes only Hellebore & Personal?

My car is AR 2000 Berlina 1974 made, RHD.

Attachments

·
Registered
140 Posts
Well it looks very similar to my personal wheels - they have Personal engraved under the left hand horn button.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
djone101 said:
Well it looks very similar to my personal wheels - they have Personal engraved under the left hand horn button.
Thanks Dave.

My steering wheel has no signs where you found it---
It must be polished too much.

Does your wheel have strange two holes on the backside of it?

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
g'day mate!

Mine has no "Personal" logo or signage other than "Alfa Romeo" engraved at the left spoke below the horn button. From a 1973 GTV RHD. Sorry guess its not much of a help.
:(

·
Super Moderator - Alfa Romeo Expert
16,232 Posts
This steering wheel is from a '68 Euro GTV (105.44). 'V. G. Hellebore' is engraved under the right horn button. The wheel to hub attachment is different than yours as is the depth of the dish. It does not have two holes in the back.
Maybe your wheel is from a later model Alfa made by someone other than Hellebore or Personal?

Attachments

·
Registered
992 Posts
I have the same mystery steering wheel on my 1971 1750 Berlina. It is the stock wheel. My Berlina is a German market that was imported to the States in '74 or '75.

I have the same two holes on the back. The only difference is that mine has the center hub portion which yours seems to be missing.

These wheels are great. They are thinner and not as deeply dished as the Personal or Hellebore wheels. The fit and finish seems to be much better as well. They are more like a Super or Sprint steering wheel.

I don't know who made them but they seem to be only on the Euro market Berlinas. I will put my feelers out there and see if I can figure out who made these.

·
Registered
992 Posts
So I talked to Andrew Watry THEE Berlina Guru and he says that the steering wheel is indeed a Euro market item found on earlier 1750 Berlinas.

He seems to think it's made by Hellebore.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Since it is a Hellebore wouldn't that make it more uncommon and possibly more valuable than a Personal wheel? I see Personals selling on eBay in the $60 to $100+ range, depending on their condition.

Hey Damian, I'm still looking forward to lots of pictures of your new Berlina! :)

·
Registered
992 Posts
I would think so but I have no idea. I just know it's a rad wheel.

Ahh yes...photos of my new Berlina...heheheh..coming soon...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
magista said:
I have the same two holes on the back. The only difference is that mine has the center hub portion which yours seems to be missing.

Of course I have the center pad for the wheel.
I have asked AFRA in Italy about its stock, they said "no more available---"

I can read "Hellebore" on its backside.

I wonder if I can think it is a Hellebore wheel , however the center pad is Hellebore---

Attachments

·
Registered
992 Posts
Ooooh! Hrmmm...my center portion is different. Very interesting. I will have to take a photo of it tonight and post it.

I'm sure it's a Hellebore.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
magista said:
Ooooh! Hrmmm...my center portion is different. Very interesting. I will have to take a photo of it tonight and post it.

I'm sure it's a Hellebore.
I think your center portion is wood(like wood), is not it?

·
Registered
992 Posts
Yup...I'm not sure if it's actually wood or some other acrylic/bakelite/other material.

·
16,232 Posts
Haven't yet seen a center cap on a Hellebore that wasn't black plastic. Can't wait to see it!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Attachments

·
16,232 Posts
:cool: Was it original to all the Mk2s? Or available only in certain markets?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
papajam said:
:cool: Was it original to all the Mk2s? Or available only in certain markets?
I don't know---

This seller is now selling an another one "Hellebore for 1750GTV MK1" which has a black center portion.
http://page4.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/d34974227

Yen 70.000 (about $580) is the starting price of the auction.

And the one which has a wooden center portion starts from Yen 80.000 (about $670)---

No bidding for both of them, I think they also are too expensive however they seem to be in very good condition.

Do you guys think they are too expensive?

Attachments

·
16,232 Posts
I think Re-Originals sells the same wheel for something approaching $1000 don't they? But then again, I think they're prices are double or more than what other vendors sell some of the same parts for.
I'll check the parts books to see if they can offer any info on the wood-like center caps.

·
16,232 Posts
OK, here we go. The "hub cover", as Alfa calls it, carries part # 105.30.23.057.00 for the series 1 Euro 1750s. Having seen quite a few examples, and owning two of 'em, I can say with confidence that the hub cover is smooth black plastic, slightly concave on the face and has a silver Alfa emblem in the center.
The US version series 1 1750 and Euro 2l hub covers have part # 105.62.23.057.00. I recall from my '69 US GTV that the cover was black, slightly convex on the face and had a texture similar to that of the dash. It had a gold emblem.
The third part #, 105.44.23.057.00, is for series 2 Euro 1750s. Don't have a clue what this one looks like and the parts book view is from the rear. Anyone out there with a Euro S2?
Because I don't have a US S2 supplement (for steering wheels), no part # is available but I'm fairly certain that these were black as well.
Conclusion; the wood-like hub cover could have come on the Euro S2 GTVs and Spiders but I'll hazard a guess that it was a Berlina (sedan) only issue.
And apologies to Re-Originals for thinking they charged $1000 for a restored Hellebore wheel. They don't. It's $1400.:eek:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts