Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

According to the automotive machine shop, the replacement cylinder head for my 1986 Spider needs a helicoil in the #1 spark plug hole. This is the replacement I bought for my old cylinder head which had a crack between the #1 and #2 exhaust port near the water jacket.

Anyone had any long term experience with doing this? Anything I should be concerned with? Its a daily driven street car, but I would like to keep the car running as long as possible.

Thanks,
Duke

·
Registered
`61 Giulietta Spider, `65 Giulia Ti 1750, `69 GT junior 1600, `73 Spider 2000, `74 GTV 2000, `98 156
1,946 Posts
There is no problem with the Helicoil inserts if executed properly.

·
Premium Member
979 Posts
I agree completely with Richard J but depending on how bad the threads are you may be able to clean the threads up with a back tap tool (I used one from KB Tools). Worked well for me but it depends greatly on the condition of yours.

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
I just recently repaired a blown out spark plug in my F-150 using the Time-sert system. I suspect the cutting tools would be different for the long reach plugs in the Alfa, but the insert is awesome. It's very well engineered, if a bit expensive. I was able to do the repair with the head still on, so the extra expense turned out to be worthwhile.

Try Gene's suggestion first, though. I had success just chasing the treads on several aluminum heads over the years. The Ford event was not recoverable, though, and I had to use the insert.

·
Premium Member
71 Berlina 74 GTV 17 Giulia Q4
6,662 Posts
Time Sert, no doubt about it. Maybe a shop around you has one. They are expensive, the inserts are really cheap though:) I chased the treads on my 59 and put a dent in the hood by launching the plug really fast straight up. Just depends on how much meat you have left.

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
Yes gig, the expense is all in the tools, but the tools are really trick. The insert itself is not expensive but if you don't have the cutters you can't do the install correctly. I bought my set off ebay, new, it was $360. I used one of the 5 inserts in the kit and I planed to turn around and sell it used at a discount. But it worked so well I'm not sure I want to part with it.

·
Premium Member
71 Berlina 74 GTV 17 Giulia Q4
6,662 Posts
I think I paid a bout 260 for mine from a distributor in Ft. Worth. I've got them in all my heads, well almost all:) Duke, If you would like to borrow mine pm me and maybe we can work something out.

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
The Triton V-8 kit has a bunch of specialty tools to do the install in that engine. Probably why it costs so much more.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts