Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '88 quad spider steering seems very heavy at low speed but easier at highway speeds. Is this normal?

·
Administrator
17,466 Posts
Well of course our Spiders don't have power steering. Our '84 is hard to steer at anything below a creep. But I certainly don't have to get up to highway speeds to feel the steering become easy.

Have you tried jacking up the front end to see if it still feels 'heavy'? (It shouldn't.) When I first got our Spider on the road (I bought it as a basket case that had sat unused for a year or two), the idler box (opposite the steering box) was nearly siezed. That made the steering too stiff. Replacing that plus a good front end alignment made all the difference.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello ghnl,

thanks for the reply. I've owned my spider for only 2 years, as a result I'm not that familiar with the characteristics of the car. I realize manual steering is heavier. I'm going to check the adjustment on the steering box and also jack up the front end and check out the steering joints, tire inflation and the front end alignment. My car is low mileage and hasn't been used very much over its 19 year life span.... maybe its joints are dried out??

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
drivng around in parking lots can give you arm like Popeye. my 74 steers like a dream at anything above parking lot speeds. seems to be normal.
cliff

·
Premium Member
2,620 Posts
Don't forget to check the fluid in your steering box. A dry box can behave that way just before it breaks! AMHIK:(

Bill

·
Premium Member
2,816 Posts
There is a quantum-difference in the weight of the steering in my '88 and my daughter's '78. The older car's steering feels light and nimble.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
heavy steering

I put the front on jacks and the steering is free and easy with no binding or other strange sensations. the fluid was very low in the box and I filled it to the specified amount... I checked the steering rod joints and all were lubed and in good condition.

Road tested and the steering is a bit easier.... it really helps to have fluid in the box.

A set of low mileage "like new" of Continental 195 R15 tires were on the car when I bought it. I don't do any spirited driving, so they'll do until it's time for new ones. tire pressure was checked and is good.

Thanks to everyone for their responses.

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
195/15......

What profile?

I know 15's came on several 80's cars, but what width and profile is stock? (you might have wider tires than what you realize)

I know with my (puny) 185/70-14's anything above, say, 10-15mph is one hand driving (not that I ever drive with one hand mind you, but I could if I wanted to at those speeds ;) ) 30 and up is more like two fingers rather than two hands and highway speeds are practially thought control easy.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts