Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am now out of ideas trying to solve a very heavy metallic "knock" when I press the brakes hard and quick.

If the car is rolling (slow or quick) there is the loud "knock" if i press hard and quick, if it's stationary there is no noise at all.

The car drives very well and brakes ok too.

I have changed ALL suspension bushes on both front sides and all Anti-Roll bar bushes aal components on both sides are new. I have disconnected the Anti roll bar completely and still the noise is there.

The Shocks are in good condition the bottom wishbone bushes also changed last week.

it made this noise before i changed the really worn out Wishbone bushes (both sides) so i was convinced this was the issue..the dog bone was ok not worn or damaged.

There is no obvious clashes or signs of a clash under the car.
There is no sign of a clash between the wheels and brake calipers either.

I have changed the wheel bearing too.. on Front Left as a last effort (the side the sound comes from)

Any ideas I would welcome ! :|

thanks,

Jon.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I would guess there is something loose. Take a crowbar and see if there is play in some joint. I would also check your calipers for loose something.

·
Premium Member
14,664 Posts
Did you check the condition of the ball joints at the front end of the caster arms?

·
Super Moderator
11,219 Posts
Did you check the condition of the ball joints at the front end of the caster arms?
... and the bushings at the back ends of the caster arms? Those arms carry the twisting load on the spindles when you apply the brakes.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi All thanks for the advise and keeping me sane!

Today after about 10 hours i find the fault...
The new Top arms from Classic Alfa have the factory bushes fitted 90Deg out so there was too much play in the castor arm fixing.. i can hardly believe it was this but i swapped both bushes in both sides and re-fitted now it's all good..

So a word of warning i guess always check bushes fitted by others?? even on NEW parts.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
11,219 Posts
The new Top arms from Classic Alfa have the factory bushes fitted 90Deg out so there was too much play in the castor arm fixing
Holy sh*t !

1 - 7 of 7 Posts