Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
My S4 has some heavy condensation in the trunk. Along the side to the passenger compartment, and the right hand side that houses the battery.
Any ideas what I should look for?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,576 Posts
Do you have a power antenna mounted next to the battery that extends up through a hole in the right rear fender? It's possible the antenna mount gasket has broken, or the nut that secures the mount to the fender has worked loose.
If not that, then its possible that one of the two tubes that act as a drains at the back of the convertible top has a tear/crack in it and is allowing water into the trunk.
If you are seeing condensation, chances are you have a pool of water in the bottom of the wheel well. Remove the spare and investigate. If left unattended, residual water in the well will rust through.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Norseman, by the way, I'm also in Bellevue.
The power antenna base seems dry from the inside.
How do I check if the drain hose has a crack or is loose?
The tools tray behind the passenger compartment is dry, the carpet below that is not, and neither is the carpet to the right of it.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,576 Posts
The two drain tubes are attached at the top forward portion of the tool tray compartment, one at each side, almost directly behind the hinge assemblies. I'm not at home right now but I will try and post a picture of the tubes in question within the next few days. Anyway, the black rubber drain hoses are visible when the tool shelf flap is down, but kind of hard to see, and even harder to remove or re-attach to the drain pipe stubs way back up in there.

The rubber hoses can also get clogged up and not let water pass all the way down to the scupper holes in the rockers. The scupper holes in the rockers have a tendancy to fill with mud and not drain, but I'm not sure if this can cause water to back up and go into the trunk. You might be able to arrange the convertible top half way up and pull back the window area to expose where the drain holes start, and then try pouring water down them to see if it does drain easily. If not, you can try to clean them out but don't use a coat hanger which could pierce them.

It's also possible that the rubber trunk seal is torn somewhere, or that the sheet metal gutter that runs all the way around the trunk has a hole in it (ask me how I know about that).

To find the source of the water entry into your trunk area, you should start by removing as much of the carpeting as you are able to, plus the spare tire. Dry it out thoroughly so that you can see any new water coming in. Then, with the convertible top up and latched at the windscreen rail, and the trunk lid up and open, run water very slowly out of your garden hose and direct it at various areas of your rear window and rear fenders for a while. Also run it into the center of the trunk gutter - it should get re-directed to both side gutters and run out above the tail lights. While applying this water, watch the inside of your trunk. When the first water appears, follow it back to see where it is coming in from.

·
Registered
8,084 Posts
the rear lights can let in water too.....they sit in little cavities and sometimes you find a rust hole there into the trunk or the water seeps down along the securing screws and into the trunk that way.
http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/1006997-post6.html

a good way to test for leaks is clear the trunk of everything, lay kitchen paper down and spray the closed trunk, rear window, rear lights area etc with a fine spray from the garden hose...open the trunk and follow the leak traced in the paper;)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the tips Norseman and Spiderserie4. I went and felt around the drain hose areas and they were very dry, as with the entire tool tray area.
The wheel well did have a little puddle, so I cleared that up.
That got me to check the front footwells. The passenger side was dry, but the driver side was very damp, and in the corner where the accelerator is, it's pretty wet. I dried it up as much as I could.
How do I "arrange the convertible top half way up and pull back the window area to expose where the drain holes start"? Do I need to unscrew something below the convertible window to expose the passenger compartment side of the tool shelf?

Attachments

·
Administrator
17,012 Posts
There are six drains - two for the cowl area in front of the windshield, four for the gutter along the back of the conv top.

The footwell water is likely due to failed cowl drains. I don't see any way that water there would get into the trunk.

The gutter for the back of the conv top is under the drape behind the carpeting. You can see the forward edge of the gutter behind the door opening. The drains under the forward ends of the gutter are just a few inches back from the door opening. Fortunately those rubber hoses seem to last a long while but they can get clogged. I use a 4'-5' length of plastic tube about 1/4" OD to fish them out. It is flexible enough to go around any slight curves but stiff enough to push any gunk out. If needed, a few blasts of compressed air also help. If the more rearward drains are clogged you'd have to remove the carpeting behind the seats and lift up the drape to find the openings into the hoses.

I'd try clearing out the conv top's forward drains first. If those are clear the rearward drains probably are somewhat redundant. And fix the cowl drains.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I checked the front drain tubes from the bottom of the car, looks ok.
The little hole underneath the two seats had a little rubber stopper in it. The driver side one was wet, the passenger side was missing the little rubber stopper.
The only 2 things that looked like drains in the back, was 2 different sized rubber caps?

Where are the front tubes from the top side of the car?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,576 Posts
The little hole underneath the two seats had a little rubber stopper in it. The driver side one was wet, the passenger side was missing the little rubber stopper.
The only 2 things that looked like drains in the back, was 2 different sized rubber caps?

Check out this thread:

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/spider-1966-up/262066-replace-cowl-hose.html

·
Administrator
17,012 Posts
I don't think your photo shows the drain tubes. They just end inside the rocker panel, There are thin slots in the pinch weld area to allow them to drain.

Front tubes as in cowl drains? They attach to the underside of the well under the cowl - the grill thing in front of the windshield. The underside of the cowl area is behind the dash - above your ankles when seated in the car.

Or do you mean the front drains for the conv top? Open the door and look in the space just inside the conv top. There is a gutter that runs along the inside of the top attaching area. There might be a drape attached but you should be able to move that aside a little bit to get a peek. As you look behind the B pillar where the conv top frame attaches there'll be a hole in the bottom of that gutter. The drain hose attaches to the underside of that hole.

Look through this thread: Conv Top Installation and you can see them in some of the photos.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Until you find the source of the leak, you may want to control the humidity levels by putting crystallized kitty litter in an old stocking. It is silica gel and will suck the humidity out of the air.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts