Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well having had a problem with the antifreeze dripping into the driver footwell, I decided to take up the challege of replacing the heater valve, as it seems to be the most likely culprit.
Unfortunately, despite plenty of soaking in penetrating oil, I managed to snap the studs.
Would I be right in thinking that this is probably the kind of fix that will require removal of the heater unit?
As a temporary measure, I intend to bypass the heater matrix, until I can see what work is required.
Any help, as always is gratefully received.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
181 Posts
Yup, that sounds right to me.

I've had my heater unit out twice (the first time I just made things worse) and to access the studs properly you will need the unit on the bench.

While it's out you may want to drill a small drain hole in the bottom of the plastic molding that the fan motor sits in. This prevents the motor sitting in a pool of water and corroding if there is another leak.

The job isn't fun but is worthwhile.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
14,033 Posts
What year car is it? The heater unit will come out of an S2 without removing the dash.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
14,033 Posts
Mine is the same year. The heater box can be wiggled out on the passenger side. It hangs under the dash on four small nuts, maybe 8mm. You remove the hoses, ducts and cables, then the four nuts and it will drop. You will probably have to remove the seats to get your head under the dash to disconnect everything.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cheers for that.
Will give it a go at the weekend.
I expect to have some raw knuckles. LOL.
Will keep you all posted.
Thanks again
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi guys, update as promised.
I removed the heater as suggested. A tricky job, but once I had located the four studs that secure the heater, I managed to get it off relatively easily.
I opened up the heater and one look told me that the water valve was useless. It seemed to have warped at the surface which mates to the heater.
I was going to have the studs repaired, but dismissed this pretty quickly. I didnt fancy going through the disassembly/reassembly process again, so decided to replace the heater core with a new one.
Got it all back together today, and other than a small leak where I had not tighten the new valve down, all was good.
Heater seems to be working much better, which is no real surprise since the core was more than 35 years old.
Added to that. I drilled a couple of holes in the bottom of the heater, just in case I get another leak. And I gave the fan casing a reqlly good clean. It was amazing the amount of old foliage that I removed.
So all seems to be well now.
Thanks again for the help. i could not have done it without you guys.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top