Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has I have the dash out of the car because I am fitting the new wiring loom it seemed the perfect opportunity to check out heater, boy what a PITA to get out. Anyway glad I did has I found a large amount of rubbish in the including washers, nuts, and pieces of wire.
My car is non AC so it is relatively simple but the seal around the flap (pictures) that swaps from cool air to hot is shot, it is completely baked solid, so question is what do I replace it with, Foam, Rubber, or something else ? Bit worried about the heat from the heater core.
Regards Geoff

Attachments

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Mark, your suggestions are always useful. I have decided to cut strip's of thin rubber and bond to it. I have been told these flaps can get over center and if they do usually it's a heater out job to fix. I think the rubber sitting proud of the edge and being trimmed to size will stop that, not sure the EPDM will be stiff enough.
I really don't want to be taking this out again.
Regards Geoff.

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
I repaired one set by bonding the thin strips on either side of the metal portion essentially "sandwiching" the metal portion. For the rubber to rubber area....I used rubber cement....for the rubber to metal IIRC ....I used RTV. Clamped everything together and let it sit for a week to ensure full cure of the RTV.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
1750GT, Thanks for your reply, we are both on the same page with this as that is exactly what I intend to do.
Infact the rubber and glue arrived yesterday and it is a job I will be doing today.
Regards Geoff

1 - 5 of 5 Posts