Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my 91 Spider with A/C, the three position rocker switch for the heater fan has never worked in the two years I owned it. Yet the fan control knob on the A/C controls just below it does get the fan going, and will blow some warm air into the ****pit. Do both switches control the same fan motor? If they do, then obviously the fan motor works.

The rocker switch seems to be in good shape, but I'm having a hard time making out the fine details on the Car Disc CD wiring diagrams, so I'm not sure how to test it. Any way to Zoom those Car Disc CD images?

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

John

1991 Alfa Spider

·
But Mad North-Northwest
9,852 Posts
They're different fans: the A/C fan is in the passenger footwell, and the heater fan is in the heater box behind the center console.

If the motor is actually getting power but is siezed up, some folks have had luck reaching up through the foot vent and spinning it by hand to free it. Try doing a search.

The cardisc is scanned at pretty low resolution, so you're pretty much boned on the wiring diagrams. I've found high-res versions of the Milano ones but none for the S4 Spider. If you do get your hands on some, pass along the info.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Murray - if you can make some good scans of it, man, that would be helpful to a lot of us - there aren't many factory manuals floating around, and they command a high dollar. In fact, I only know one person who owns one, and I hate to bug him with all my questions.

So please...scan it and make it available, if possible.

·
Premium Member
3,533 Posts
Murray - and others,

Excellent copies of shop manuals back to 6C1500 Alfas can be purchased from the Alfa Romeo Owners Club http://www.aroc-usa.org/tech/manuals.asp . The one for a 1991 Spider is #4466. if you're not an AROC member, you should be... AROC (and ARA) maintained the flame of Alfa enthusiasm long before wonderfull forums like this, and they need our support more than ever. Rather than further highjack of this thread, see my post under "Alfa club membership?".

msiert said:
Hi Guy's,

I have a shop manual for the S-4 Spider and it has the complete wiring diagrams for the car.The electrical diagrams are on fold out pages and some of the pages has my notes written on them.

Right now my engine buider has it but I will be getting it back soon. I have heard people talk about not being able to get a hold of one but I didn't think I had anything special but maybe I do. If there any interest maybe I could copy it but I don't know how to scan and post it?

Murray

·
Registered
37 Posts
John

I replaced my heater fan last year. It was a total bear.

The manual has instructions that include removing the entire dash, but it isn't necessary so I made a couple of short cuts.

You'll need to remove both kne bolsters and the panels over the transmission tunnel. With those out you can get to the heater casing. The plastic tubes to the heater vents then come off. There are four PITA bolts there that come out then the bottom of the heater casing can be removed. It's a struggle to get the casing out bit I think I took it out from the drivers side. Heater goes in easily and the biggest problem is getting the bottom heater casing back on. No matter how hard I tried I could only get three on without losing the position of the fourth. So in the end I used a screw instead of the bolt.

Good luck

Simon

Fan goes back in and the

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the help, guys. I will try spinning the fan through the vent opening. And I'll have to give a paper shop manual some more thought...

John

·
Registered
112 Posts
I just pulled my heater box from an 83 spider. I removed the dash. It's really not that big of a deal, although it's not fun either. There are only 2 bolts and 2 wing nuts holding it in place. Probably the same for the later model spiders. While the dash is out, I'm replacing all of the light bulbs in the gauges, cleaning up connections, and cleaning up a few spots behind the dash where I found the beginnings of rust. Once the dash is out, it is a whole lot easier to reach the bolts holding the heater box in. I don't think I could have removed it otherwise.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts