Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Working on a 1974 that had the dealer-installed A/C.
While the compressor and plumbing are long-since gone, the interior unit under the dash is in place and heat emanates from the "eyeball" vents.

I'd like to take the unit out. Is the heater box different from the non-air conditioned GTVs?

Should I start looking for another heater box? :confused:

·
Registered
368 Posts
Hi,

Not only the boxes are different, the center console is also different because of that unit.

Hope these drawings will help you, I've the same unit (also without the fomer AC), in my Blu Bert.

·
Premium Member
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!
Will probably remove the box.

·
Premium Member
2,617 Posts
John,

I've seen a few of the original Alfa AC units like cor posted but just as many aftermarket systems that use the original heater box with a seperate evaporator. If you have the combined heater/evaporator as pictured, with two eyeball vents between the dash and center console, you can replace it with the standard heater box which isn't hard to find. (I'm sure I have one or two in storage). If you have the aftermarket type with the seperate evaporator box, you don't have to replace anything. Just yank the evaporator box. If you do have the factory style, try not to break the heater valve when you remove it. They're hard to come by and I, for one, would be interested in it. Maybe work a trade for a standard heater box. As cor mentioned, you would also need to source an original style center console to replace the shorter AC console. Again, not that hard to find.

·
Premium Member
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bill,
This one looks exactly like the diagram: 2 Eyeballs in the center, heater fan control on the left and A/C control on the right.

·
Premium Member
2,617 Posts
I'll look for a heater box in my storage unit this weekend. If you find one locally before then, let me know.

·
Premium Member
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll look for a heater box in my storage unit this weekend. If you find one locally before then, let me know.
PM sent................

·
Premium Member
418 Posts
pm sent..........

1 - 8 of 8 Posts