Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Even with the dash and knee roller out, it looks like replacing the heater control valve is going to be a ***** of a job. It appears that Alfa hung the heater valve from the ceiling on a piece of string and then built the car around it. How anyone could ever remove and replace one with the dash and knee rolller in place is a mystery to me.

Any tips on how to remove this monster and replace it with a new one? I had not planned on replacing it until Tom Manley brought it to my attention. So I ordered one and then looked to see where it went. Yee Gods. They could not have made it any more difficult if they had wanted to.

I am definatelly going to install the new one as insurance against ever having to do so with the dash and knee roller installed. Thanks a million, Tom!

Robert Hil in Memphis, TN

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Heater Control Valve

Robert:

You are absolutely correct about valve replacement. Removal is an impossible task:).

All seriousness aside, I had mine out on my '87 QV a number of years ago, took it apart and and discovered a rather unique design that made reverse flushing with a garden hose an exercise in "stuttering" and water all over the place. Someone pointed out to me that I'm fortunate I did not blow up the cooling system with 60# house water pressure (regulated).

Put it back together and it's in there today. If you want to talk about a really challengeing task, try the heater blower motor. That's why mine is still inoperative. Spins freely, but continuity at the motor is infinity. As long as I'm moving, I don't freeze and the A/C fan picks up enough air off the floor and out the A/C vents so that I can't see my breath.

Just wanted to bump you back up topside, where someone who knows what they are talking about can weigh in.

Best wishes.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Yes, only four bolts hold it to the underside of the cowl. A ratcheting 8mm crescent wrench(I think that's the correct size) will help! By the way, the bolts go through slots on the heater core housing, so actually loosen two on one side, remove the two on the other side, then slide it out one side.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
QV's have A/C

With the dash & knee bumpers removed it should only be a couple of hoses & a few bolts more to remove the heater unit. Then you can clean it out, check/lube the blower motor, etc.
The A/C evaporator and assorted plumbing make this just a bit more of a challenge in a Quad :D.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hello,
I am getting conflicting information on replacement of this heater control valve. Pictures are below. There are only 2 bolts or nuts holding this thing on. It connects directly to the heater core. The inlet fron the heater hose is on the back side of the valve as you are looking at it. Can you disconnect the valve from the core and pull it out enough to get at the hose clamp? And do you have to remove that air duct just below it first? I am assuming from the new valve that you can pull it out once disconnected from the core and hose and bring the control cable out with it. Then re-connect the new valve to the control cable, after actuating it fully in both directions so that the sliding control knob on the console is correctly positioned. Then hook up the heater hose (I have a new one to install at the same time) and then mount it and connect it to the core with the 2 nuts or bolts (whatever it is held on with). Any comments or past experiences appreciated.

Robert

Attachments

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
""The A/C evaporator and assorted plumbing make this just a bit more of a challenge in a Quad""

THE understatement of 2011!

Robert

1 - 7 of 7 Posts