Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,998 Posts
How long does it take to replace the heater blower motor in a 164?
Pencil entry in my Alfa Romeo factory flat rate manual is 5.0 hrs which is probably about right if you have to recharge the A/C system.

They had 1.35 hrs in print which is pushing it, They list 1.75 hrs to do heater core. Again that is pretty optimistic.

I did it once in a couple hours but had done it many times before that.

·
Premium Member
15,862 Posts
What is the motor doing, or not? Have you tried lubing that exposed motor bushing on the driver's side?

I think that bushing gets dry and picks up dirt, etc. Needs lubing now and then to keep it from wearing out, which lets the motor squeal when turned on.

·
Premium Member
4,761 Posts
not long but I dont have a/c. IIRC about 3 hours actual work and it wasn't hard, just fiddly. I think I did a thread on it but have to look in the morning. G'nite. ciao jc

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Steve, why would you have to recharge the air conditioning system, the blower motor has nothing to do with the air conditioning lines and removing and replacing it does not interfere with any air conditioning parts?

Removing and replacing the blower motor from the 164 is a under 1 hour job, wiggle false firewall loose, disconnect flap control, disconnect power supply, bend tabs on either side back and pullout, allow 1 1/2 hours if it is your first time and you want to take it slow/not damage anything

I have plenty of motors in stock with replacement warranty if anyone needs one

Attachments

·
Registered
5,485 Posts
It depends on what 164 you have, how the AC lines are routed and tolerances of them. Sometimes you can wrestle em out of the way, other times not a chance.

Its a full afternoon job on 24V car. And its a lot of 'bent over' stuff which makes for sore backs later in the evening and next day

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I have had every 164 V6 1988 thru to 1998 except the Q4, and there has never been any major difference in the air conditioning lines, routing etc

Did the USA have aftermarket air conditioning fitted?

Blower motor removal no difference between 12 and 24 valve models

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
That's what I would have thought, so all air conditiong lines would have the same routing, well as far as V6 goes anyway, USA and Australia did not receive the 4 cylinder, air conditiong lines do not get in the way of fan removal

·
Premium Member
4,761 Posts
misc thoughts

A few pics from mine. The motor I got from Summit. You have to change the fan over - see Mr. Steves tricks. Getting the old unit/housing out is tricky as there are 2 locking tabs to try to hold apart while pulling the beast out. I found using a stiff plastic piece to wedge between the tab and the spring helped. Research the threads for tip as there are some screws that I didn't know about and if I hadn't researched, I'd a broke something. I couldn't find my writing on it but it's pretty easy and having done it once I'd bet I could do the next one in 2 hours tops. Alot of the folks have said the removal of the wiper arm/motor was hard but I didn't find it necessary to remove, just the center cross brace. The big electrical connector at the firewall is fiddly to get back together and have it work. I didn't remove the false firewall either, just loosened it and moved it around to facilitate the removal of the heater box. In hindsight I should have spent the few dollars extra and changed the heater core since I was there but I didn't. Knock wood, no problems thus far.....ciao jc

Attachments

·
Premium Member
26,998 Posts
I change blower motors without discharging A/C system. However that being said it helps to unbolt evaporator box and unclamp PDI valve from inner chassis rail in front of engine.

I also remove false firewall and windshield wiper motor. It even helps to remove intake plenum off top of engine.

As you can see from Chris' picture above not have the A/C evaporator box in the way makes the job a lot easier.

I like room to work but some folks jiust like to force things apart.

Here are some links of my process. First one with wiper motor out of the way, second one without removing wiper motor and third link is the whole story including changing the fan on motor and repairing air temp doors and cabin air filter.

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/708916-post33.html

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/322563-post19.html

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/164-168-1991-1995/36850-alfa-164-c-heater-blower-motor-info.html

1 - 13 of 13 Posts