Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello everyone.

i have a 164s and just wondering if anyone had a problem with the heated seats? if so how to check and repair them.

thanks

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
The seats have thermal sensing, so just because you put the switch to on, doesn't mean the seat will warm necessarily. Check the fuse in the main fuseblock to be sure it's good. My guess is that your seat heaters are fine. Get a copy of the service manual or the Cardisc. I got an original Service Manual and Wiring Diagram in fair condition on eBay for $60.

According to the service manual:

Attachments

·
1991 164L
27,781 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,781 Posts
The seats have thermal sensing, so just because you put the switch to on, doesn't mean the seat will warm necessarily.
Maybe that's why they never seem to work in FL even on the very occasional icy morning.

All fuses are OK.....but we don't really go below 30F where I live.

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
They should come on at 59F and below, at least according to the tech data. Moving the sensor farther away from the heat pads sounds like a good idea. I don't know if I'm a fan of bypassing the sensor for fear of overheating the seat if it's on and nobody is sitting in it to feel it.

Maybe Steve has turned his on and seen how hot they'll actually get unregulated by the thermostat.

·
Registered
3,358 Posts
Usual failure mode is a broken heating wire, often due to people kneeling on the seat, a no no if you have these.

·
1991 164L
27,781 Posts
I have never worroed about seat heaters as Originale came with fabric non-heated seats.

I guess I may soon test out leather seats in both BB1/2 and see if they work.

Wife loves that working option in her Malibu LTZ leather seats.

·
Registered
3,358 Posts
Heated seats are very nice when ambient dips below freezing. One rapidly gets used to this comfort feature and switches them on at higher temperatures. SAAB first started heating the driver's seat as a safety feature adopted from airplane pilot seats. Then no doubt somebody's wife complained and SAAB and others started heating both front seats. On my Alfa all four main seating positions are heated, but the driver's seat heater no longer works.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Is it ever the switches that go on these?

The passenger one on mine suddenly stopped working and the drivers seat on another stopped, then worked fine another day after a few seconds pause. Hasn't worked since though.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think it's the thermostat that is not working. It under your seats. I have the same problem. We have to bypass it to work. I'm still learning.

·
Registered
4,068 Posts
Look for the the small black wire that goes from the seat bottom to the seat top (at the pivot point). There is a pad in the seat bottom and in the seat back. Hard to find them and if missing, you will have to fish for them under the upholstery. If you have a broken wire there, the seat will not heat. Check at the wires under the seat for continuity. The black wires are the heating element wires. A lack of continuity will be the clue that the previously mentioned wire is broken. I think the switches are pretty good on these and wouldn't be my first suspect. My old L seat stopped working a few years prior and when I pulled them to install the S seats, I discovered the broken wire in the old seat. I had known about the lack of continuity, but didn't know where the problem was until discovering that. I used mine this morning and it was about 50*F this morning, so it doesn't have to get that cold for them to work.
Charles

·
Registered
3,358 Posts
Just by the by the number one cause of seat heating pad failure is kneeling on the seat. Never, ever kneel on a heated seat, it breaks the heating wires.

·
Registered
320 Posts
How do I remove the switch from the seat to clean ? Thanks. Cory

·
Registered
3,358 Posts
How do I remove the switch from the seat to clean ? Thanks. Cory
I know if you remove the seat trim panel from the seat and turn it over you can unplug the switches and take them apart to clean them. I've only done the seat motor switches though.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Bumping this thread ...

Looking for advice how to R&R the switches on the side trim panel.. and how to remove that trim piece..

I had intermittent seat heating, now none. I once read a thread suggesting the switches fail. I'll check the switches as a first step and go to the heat sensor as a next step.

Thx,
- Art

·
1991 164L
27,781 Posts
Bumping this thread ...

Looking for advice how to R&R the switches on the side trim panel.. and how to remove that trim piece..

I had intermittent seat heating, now none. I once read a thread suggesting the switches fail. I'll check the switches as a first step and go to the heat sensor as a next step.

Thx,
- Art
Art you have 24v 8-way power seats so side trim panel with controls different than our 91-93 models. Not sure that has been posted. I did seat swap repair on Myron's 95LS but those pictures in that thread did not show switches and side covering.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Art you have 24v 8-way power seats so side trim panel with controls different than our 91-93 models. Not sure that has been posted. I did seat swap repair on Myron's 95LS but those pictures in that thread did not show switches and side covering.
OK, thanks - I'll get into it at some point and report back what I find. The LS was warm enough today.. 26F outside... for some reason I expected the leather seats to be colder than they were.
- Art

1 - 17 of 17 Posts