Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was looking at the pictures of the '94 Spider that Jason has for sale on the "for sale" forum and noticed what looked like a heat shield on the driver's side between the exhaust manifold and brake reservoir. It looks OEM. So I looked at the pictures on Ebay of the extremely low mileage '91 Spider for sale and no such shield. Just kind of curious, is this something some of the S4 Spiders have?

A picture lifted from his for sale photos is attached, which clearly shows the shield in question.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,468 Posts
I was wondering the same thing. Some cars seem to have them & some, like mine, don't.:confused:

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
The shields are OEM only in the series 4 Spiders. The series 4 started in '91, but the shields seemed to have started with the '92 models... Prior to that, none of the Spiders were fitted with shields. The Motronic engines, with their 10:1 pistons and 11 mm cams, do produce more heat than the earlier engines.

Best regards,

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
The heat shield came after 91 I believe the 92 was the first year to get them (JohnM has one on his 92). I sure wish my 91 had on but if you can get your hands on one it's not a big job to install it.........the exhaust manifold has knobs on it to fasten the shield down too you just need to drill and tap them.

I check at APE a couple a weeks ago for one but they didn't have any. :mad:

·
Premium Member
1,468 Posts
Well, the good news is that our 91's without them are at least "correct." :cool:

·
Registered
520 Posts
my 90 motronic doesnt have it. i wonder if its to protect the power-steering (which i dont have) and that weak plastic reservoir for them (on the milano its hidden behind the firewall. hmmm)

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
my 90 motronic doesnt have it. i wonder if its to protect the power-steering (which i dont have) and that weak plastic reservoir for them (on the milano its hidden behind the firewall. hmmm)
I think you've "hit the nail on the head," so to speak, since now that you mention this, I do recall a thread where the heat affecting the plastic reservoir was discussed. Fellow BBers pointed out that a heat shield was needed...

Best regards,

·
Registered
897 Posts
My '91 doesn't have one either. I don't have any issue. Sure looks nice tho - I wonder if it rattles at all?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts