Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally finished putting the interior back in my '92 164 S tonight, it is 20 outside. I backed it out of the garage and let it warm up, took it out for a quick drive, temperature gauge showed slightly right of center. Problem is it's blowing cold air. I remember the heater core shut off valve (see pic), I go to open it - turning left - ccw. The seat nut came loose and started turning.
Question - does the valve petcock open normal ccw or cw.
Does the valve look open or close in the picture?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
When I test drove it, it made all the heat in the world! We had to crack the windows to cool off! Weather was probably mid to high thirties that day. Unless changed prior to today, the valve would have been in open position the way it was.

I know on cold cold days, I can't get good heat until 10-15 minutes into my morning highway commute. Maybe put the valve back the way it was if possible and give it another try.

Looking for the Murray valve cut sheet or specs didn't turn up a drawing of any kind in my searches. I don't know if in or out with that stem opens that valve. Ball valves are nice. The handle direction doesn't lie!

·
Premium Member
15,861 Posts
Those valves are junk. Mine froze up and leaked like a sieve. Get a 90 deg Pex valve instead from Lowe's or Home Depot. Much much better.

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
90 degree PEX valve

Just getting back to the lack of heat and changing out the Murray for a PEX valve. I see 90 degree, 1/2", 1/4 turn, barb connection. Is this the correct one?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
15,861 Posts
Keep in mind that just one valve will not stop a heater core from leaking, a not that uncommon occurrence on high mileage 164's (you don't want coolant running down inside the center console wetting down the computers there). For that you need either two valves, or a valve and a rubber hose shutoff pliers of the correct size, or two pliers. You can easily get sets of those from eBay. I bought one that way for the 91S, but think I will get a set for the LS, since it doesn't have a shutoff valve (yet).

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
New Pex valve

I finally got a break from work and the weather to get at replacing the old Murray valve with a new Pex valve. The short hose to the tee cracked when I tried to remove it, no problem had new 3/4 inch heater hose at the ready, sprayed the other end that is connected to the heater hose that goes to the core with warm soapy water to loosen it up, came out no problem. The Murray valve was frozen closed. Cut the new piece of heater hose slightly longer than the old piece not thinking that the new valve was wider than the old. When I installed new valve the hose was crimping from being to long. Disconnected end at the T fitting and got a box cutter with a new blade. Anyone want to guess what happened next? Yes 11 stitches. I did however finish the job Sunday. Now onto the thermostat.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Checking the thermostat today I open the PEX valve, turn the heat on full and monitor the temp gauge, it ran up to slightly over 200. I shot the upper rad hose with my IR and it was 143, lower was 106, the by pass hose between the water pump and block was 207. Bad thermostat right?

·
Premium Member
15,861 Posts
Was this after a drive around the area for a while to develop a steady state heat distribution, or just a spot check upon initial warmup? It does take time for the entire system, including the drivetrain to fully warm up to a steady state level, and the thermostat to move to it's steady setting.

I don't know what those specific locations should read under your conditions. I wouldn't necessarily think the thermostat is faulty at this point.

·
Premium Member
26,997 Posts
So does the heater core heat now? Coolant tank getting hot and flowing coolant?

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I did take it for a ride around my neighborhood, the heater never got hot, and the temperature gauge started to go above 200 so I quickly returned home. That is when I took the readings, the coolant tank was not hot and the coolant did not look lik it was circulating. I am going to follow the coolant system check list Steve has Saturday, Jason is out of thermostats right now.

·
Premium Member
4,761 Posts
I'm in the "thermostat is shot" camp. When you refill, distilled water has been my choice to mix with the antifreeze. Welcome to the club. Both feet first eh? ciao jc

·
Premium Member
15,861 Posts
"When you refill, distilled water has been my choice to mix with the antifreeze"

True, but nowadays, most buy the premix version. Don't have to worry about using distilled water or getting the correct %. Always hated to have to screw around with finding that water and doing the mixing in the old days.

·
Premium Member
26,997 Posts
I did take it for a ride around my neighborhood, the heater never got hot, and the temperature gauge started to go above 200 so I quickly returned home. That is when I took the readings, the coolant tank was not hot and the coolant did not look lik it was circulating. I am going to follow the coolant system check list Steve has Saturday, Jason is out of thermostats right now.
Did you open 6-pointed 14mm hex head bleeder on top of thermostat before you started to refill coolant tank? You need to bleed air out of engine block as you fill tank to get air out so thermostat bulb becames immersed in coolant. It opens better in coolant than hot air.

Use towel or rags near timing cover to keep coolant off belts and close bleeder as soon as coolant appears.

If you really need a thermostat Difatta Bros in Baltimore has them, too.
IAP in VA and AW in NJ has them, too.

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks guys I did use the premix with a little extra concentrate since the manual called for 55 /45 mix. Steve I did not open the Bleed bolt, overlooked that. Should I loosen it and try again ?

·
Premium Member
15,861 Posts
50/50 or 55/45? These coolant systems wouldn't know the difference. Premix by itself is entirely fine.

·
Premium Member
26,997 Posts
Thanks guys I did use the premix with a little extra concentrate since the manual called for 55 /45 mix. Steve I did not open the Bleed bolt, overlooked that. Should I loosen it and try again ?
Yes loosen it to be sure you don't have air trapped in engine coolant system on top of water pump and in block.

If coolant comes out right away then you should be good to go.

If coolant level goes down in coolant tank as soon as you open bleeder you have trapped air.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts