Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,275 Posts
gauge reading

Ron if you search back on this you will find (somewhere) I described the same thing yuo are seeing. I instrumented the car with KJ thermocouples and found that the interior guage would run 195 while the mean temperature in the hot spots that were accessible (top of thermostat housing, top of radiator, etc) all measured about 20 C cooler. I installed a ?27 ? ohm resistor in series with the gage sender and all is now well. Remember that the 94's gauge dial had about a 20C difference in position compared to the 95 dial (in other words, 12 o clock on the dial was about 20 hotter on the 94 was about 20 hotter than 12 o clock on the 95). I wonder if the resistor in the instrument panel was every changed to compensate for the different gauge....

Also check your overflow cap and make sure it is still holding pressure.

·
Premium Member
7,275 Posts
How did I know?

IIRC--Looked at the temp /resistance curve in the manual, measured my resistance at temp and compared to the manual graph, subtracted graph from mine and got 25-30 ohms (not an exact science by any means), had a 27 ohmer (1/4 watt) in my stash (I restore and modify tube stereo gear as another hobby) and put er in. Instrumented again and its pretty much spot on.

Back when I posted this, someone thought that perhaps the guage was really reading internal engine temp== in other words, did the engineers bias the actual thermostat housing/guage reading high to more truly reflect the internal engine temp? I don't know! Caveat Emptor!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.