Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
28,544 Posts
First off on your 95LS it should have the OEM radiator thermal switch with the long wire connector with 3 wires as switch is mounted in right side tank of radiator above lower return hose.

Does low speed fan come on after A/C switch on for a bit when freon pressure builds up to about 215 psi? If not have you tested/checked low speed resister in upper corner of radiator cooling fan shroud near air cleaner?
This resister used for both A/C pressure switch and low side of radiator switch.

Did you test both low and high contacts in thermal switch?

I believe in manual override toggle switch inside car for that stop and go traffic and those hot days to help a/c condensor do a better job. I have it wired to energize high speed relay but we wired both my son's L and S models with two position switch so he can run either low or high speed fan. He has VW three wire lower temp switches installed in radiators too.

·
28,544 Posts
Yes, my car has the OEM 3-wire sensor. When I went to test the pins, the water temp kinda shot past the low point to the high point, so I wasn't really able to test the low temp activation, but when the water was near boiling (with air bubbles forming on bottom of pan) I found continuity on all the prongs....which wasn't there at the lower temps. Car Disc chapter wasn't clear on what prongs are which so I was moving my multimeter around till I found continuity, and then tested the other lead and found it there too. I assumed all pins are activated at the high temp...couldn't catch the senor at the lower setting which is only like 8-12 degrees lower for activation I believe.

On the way home from work this a.m. I'll give the A/C a try. Living here in Seattle, turning the A/C on to troubleshoot something is like the farthest thing from our minds. Good thing I have a ready supply of flanel to don. May have to change out of the Birkenstocks and put the Doc Martins on....

Will let you know the results of that.....

Ciao for now,
Poor baby, to cold for a/c! Never to cold for a/c even in the winter just adjust temp level.

As for thermal switch wire colors and purpose. On 12v black is ground, white is low temp/speed switch and red is high speed switch. Pretty sure 24v the same colors. red goes to brown-white wire for high speed relay and red goes to brown wire for low speed relay activation.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.